Manager, Web Strategy & Optimization
Manager, Web Strategy & Optimization
Office of Marketing
Exempt, Regular, Full-Time, Pay Grade 3.2
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Manager, Web Strategy & Optimization in the Office of Marketing, Strategic Enrollment Management. Reporting to the Director, Marketing Optimization, this person's primary functions will be 1) monitoring & optimizing web site performance and 2) driving better SEO results. These will be in support of umuc.edu, the web site of one of the largest universities in the country, delivering over 2 million visitors per month. This role will work closely with both the Digital User Experience and Marketing Optimization teams to develop reports/recommendations on how to drive robust organic traffic and to improve the progression of web site visitors through to a conversion. Given the importance of this role, the Manager, Web Strategy & Optimization will also have executive exposure and will brief the SVP of Strategic Enrollment Management regularly regarding challenges and opportunities. Expert level experience in Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager are essential, as is expertise in SEO best practices, as this role will drive important changes that support enrollment growth.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Develop reports and provide recommendations for improving the performance of the web site using a variety of KPIs related to engagement and conversion. Primarily leverage Google Analytics, though also use business reporting tools such as Tableau and Salesforce to produce actionable outcomes-related reports.
- Leverage SEO best practices to make recommendations on how to drive more and higher quality organic traffic to UMUC's web site. This includes site optimization to ensure top positions for relevant searches, and identifying content and external opportunities to drive new traffic.
- Derive insights from the data to suggest, create, and oversee multivariate or A/B tests that deliver fundamental improvements to the site experience.
- Partner with the Digital User Experience team on implementation and testing of changes made based on your recommendations. Implement straightforward changes yourself via Google Tag Manager.
- Create holistic dashboards and perform routine in-depth analyses by compiling data from multiple sources. Distribute and present these insights to team members at all levels of the University, including the SVP of Strategic Enrollment Management.
- Collaborate with external partners and agencies to assist with data collection, reporting and hypothesis development.
- Typical deliverables and tasks:
- Weekly and monthly reports (Excel, Google Analytics, Tableau).
- Development of product-, project-, or stakeholder-specific web analytics dashboards.
- Website behavior and customer experience analysis.
- Coordination of tags and tracking parameter implementations.
- Troubleshooting of web site tracking issues.
- Creation and completion of multivariate and A/B testing documents (from hypothesis creation to influencing creative to identifying success metrics) and post test analysis.
- Drafting business requirements synthesized from multiple sources including product managers, development teams, and functional group members.
- Audit and document existing processes and suggestions for continuous improvement.
- Develop and deliver effective and persuasive presentations (verbal and written) for stakeholders and managers.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Occasional travel between local UMUC locations may be required.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree from an accredited university
- Minimum 5 years of experience, with at least 3 years in digital marketing and SEO
- At least 3 years of experience developing reports to highlight strengths and weaknesses of campaigns/initiatives. Significant strength using Excel
- Expert level knowledge in Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, Google Webmaster Tools, keyword research tools and best-of-breed SEO tools.
- Strong analytical skills and an ability to identify actionable insights
- Experienced and comfortable leading initiatives and driving success
- Entrepreneurial and confidently able to challenge the status quo
- Strong communication skills and the ability to articulate findings to all levels of end users from executives to technical resources. Comfort building PowerPoint presentations summarizing insights
- A curious and ambitious natural problem solver
- A detail-oriented person who is excited to roll up his/her sleeves to get the job done
- Collaborative worker and strong team player
- Solutions and results-oriented
- Works effectively both independently and as a member of cross-functional teams
- Embraces and appreciates the mission of higher education for working adults
- Experience with Tableau
- Experience in B2B or 2-step marketing
- Experience in the education industry
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.