Accounting Generalist (Part-time OnCall)
IDA is a federally-funded research and development center that produces objective, high-impact analyses for the Department of Defense. IDA prides itself on the quality and timeliness of these analyses, and its multi-disciplinary problem-solving approach. IDA's Finance Department is seeking a part-time/on-call Accounting Generalist to perform accounting and financial duties. A business major with basic accounting coursework is required. Under direct supervision and in accordance with IDA policy and procedures, this position provides: 1) Day-to-day accounting activities such as reviewing and verifying expense reports or invoices and related documents, responding to vendor inquiries, and reconciliation responsibilities, 2) Financial analyses projects including assistance in preparation of briefings or reports, and 3) Assistance in the evaluation of financial software and business information tools.
- Assists staff across all areas of the Finance Department to include accounts payable, budgeting and finance, and accounting, as needed.
- Confers with employees, consultants, the IDA Travel office staff, purchasing or facilities staff, and vendors to obtain additional information as needed; investigate discrepancies and resolve problems.
- Determines allowable expense reimbursements, payment amounts, discounts and general ledger expense account codes. Enters, verifies, and posts data in accounting and financial systems.
- Assists Finance staff in the preparation of briefings and reports using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Maintains departmental documentation such as internal controls and desktop procedures.
- Assists Finance staff in the evaluation and testing of new or enhanced financial software systems.
- Assists in the documentation and testing of internal controls.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 30 undergraduate credit hours towards a business related degree.
- Minimum of six credit hours of basic accounting coursework.
- Experience with computers and Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and to interact effectively with all levels of personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to accomplish tasks accurately and efficiently, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, meet regularly recurring deadlines and act with discretion.
- US citizenship is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain necessary security clearances.