This position provides in depth support of the LUMOS Networks Transport, IP and Ethernet Networks. The Engineer will have extensive knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within one of the functional areas of the organization, identified in the Skill Matrix provided below. The Position may operate with considerable latitude for unsupervised action or decision. May design, develop, test and implement all components, equipment, and software within the functional area of the organization. The position may perform administrative work relating to projects and assignments.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide technical and analytical support in determining the root cause of network problems and implement action plans to resolve potential or active Network impacting issues.
- Work with Network Planning, Product Management and Operations teams to improve network reliability and to ensure NOC / Operations support new products.
- Assist other technicians with their technical development in the use of monitoring tools, network structure and theory.
- Identify, diagnose, and resolve problems affecting network performance that have been escalated and unresolved within the NOC teams.
- Provide assistance and support to other team member as required during critical outages.
- Utilizes high level of communication and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain positive and productive working relationships
- Performs analysis and studies to determine requirements, immediate and long-range plans, designs and testing best practices.
- Assist NOC Change Management team as required to determine customers impacted and effect during network maintenance and grooming.
- Drafts Internal Technical Service Bulletins.
- Develop and Teach Classes to NOC Analyst I, II & III members to maintain highest level of technical knowledge on team.
- Perform any other duties assigned by NOC supervisor or Manager.
- Education: College degree in Engineering or a related field and 3-5 years professional level experience; or 6+ years professional level related Engineering/Technical experience; or an equivalent combination of education and professional level related Engineering/Technical experience required.
- Experience: 6+ years troubleshooting higher level Network Hardware and provisioning. 6+ years in network operations environment or related job. Extensive understanding of either the Data or Transport disciplines in the Skill Matrix.
- Key Competencies: Demonstrated highly motivated self-starter. Demonstrated strong research and testing abilities. Demonstrated analytical skills
Extensive experience with Ethernet/TCP/IP Networking
Extensive TDM, SONET, Optical Fiber, CWDM/DWDM experience
MPLS, BGP, iBGP, eBGP, OSPF
OTN, ROADM, SONET, cross connect provisioning and signal grooming
SNMP, UDP, IMAP, DNS, RADIUS (AAA), LDAP, NTP and SMTP
Experience with various protection and switching methodology to include UPSR/BLSR
TACACS, TACACS+, Radius.
TL1 / SNMP and EMS/NMS experience
Ethernet and Mobile Backhaul Experience is desired.
CISCO and CIENA Transport Certifications
CCNA, JNCIA, Metro E CEF certifications desired