The Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. is seeking to hire a Driver to provide day-to-day transportation services, basic car maintenance, and courier support for the Embassy.
Position title: Driver
Section: Permanent Mission of Canada to the Organization of American States (PRMOAS)
Location: Embassy of Canada, Washington, D.C.
Position no: EXT-310599
Starting salary: $16.88/hour USD, plus benefits
Competition no: 08/17
Date posted: July 19, 2017
Extension dates: August 3 to August 8, 2017: If you have already submitted your cover letter and resume, you do not need to reapply.
Employment Tenure: There is one (1) term position to be filled, having a specified period of employment of three (3) years, with the possibility of a term extension or change in status to indeterminate based on operational requirements. This competitive staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and other similar positions, with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment/transfer, and/or acting opportunities at the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. When you submit your application, you must specify all types of employment tenures for which you wish to be considered, e.g., indeterminate, term, assignment/transfer, and/or acting.
- Persons living in the Washington Metropolitan area.
- Employees of the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C.
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States. Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance.
- Spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff at the Embassy of Canada.
All applicants must:
- Meet all of the Essential Requirements stated below.
- Be a resident in the United States.
- Have independent work authorization in the Unites States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions.
- Submit a resume and cover letter by the closing date. The cover letter must specify, using concrete examples, how you meet the Essential Requirements, i.e., Education, Experience, for this position. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Summary of duties:
Under the direction of the Transport Supervisor, the incumbent drives an official vehicle in the pooled category, transporting authorized passengers, as well as delivering and collecting items of material. The incumbent ensures the proper maintenance and operation of the vehicle; maintains vehicle log and records; and performs other duties as assigned. The incumbent may also be required to act as chauffeur for executive management (Ambassador/Deputy Head of Mission) at the Embassy.
Language requirement: English (The ability to work in French would be an asset).
Condition of employment (must be met):
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check;
- Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with the United States protocol directives for foreign missions;
- A valid, current United States driver’s license;
- Clean, safe driving record; and
- Good physical condition; capable of lifting packages or bags up to 50 lbs (22 kg).
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed below:
Successful completion of Secondary School. A certificate in Defensive Driver Training would be an asset.
- Extensive experience as a driver for an Embassy, Consulate, government department/agency, delivery service or large firm;
- Experience performing basic car maintenance, e.g., changing a flat tire, checking and topping up oil/fluids;
- Experience providing administrative support tasks, such as record keeping, data entry, and courier support; and
- Experience using MS Office Suite, e.g., Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may be a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a skills test, or any combination of these methods.
- Knowledge of a motor vehicle and its operation;
- Knowledge of basic car mechanics and routine car care;
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, and Internet Explorer;
- Familiarity with local Metropolitan area and the surrounding areas; and
- Excellent knowledge of street routes and traffic patterns in the local metro area.
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing;
- Operate assigned vehicle in a safe and courteous manner and keep the car tidy at all times;
- Perform basic car maintenance, e.g., change flat tire, replace broken wiper blade, and check oil/fluids;
- Plan and organize regularly scheduled maintenance of assigned vehicle;
- Provide excellent client service, maintaining composure when dealing with unusual situations or difficult clients;
- Assess situations that may involve a security or safety issue and initiate appropriate response;
- Demonstrate attention to details, including documentation and record-keeping;
- Provide courier services by delivering and collecting items or materials; and
- Use GPS, navigations, and related technology systems.
- Effective interpersonal skills;
- Tactful and Diplomatic;
- Punctual/Dependable; and
- Adaptable and flexible.
- Successful completion of a driver/security training course, e.g., defensive driving training.
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the Essential Requirements. Please note that failure to meet any of the Essential Requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources Section for an interview or other form of assessment of the Rated Requirements.
The assessment may include an interview, a written test and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant's knowledge, abilities and personal suitability for the position.
The Embassy offers a competitive salary, generous leave, and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term and short term disability, and a retirement savings plan to name a few.
The Embassy is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
Method of application:
Applications should be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com by the closing date. In completing their applications, candidates should confirm that they meet all the essential requirements and take care to relate their work experience to the position description and indicate the position number.
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Locally Engaged Staff (LES) in the United States of 40 hours per week. The successful candidate must be able to work overtime on short notice and be available for occasional duties outside of normal working hours, i.e., evenings, weekends, and some overnight travel.
Apply for Driver
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly