7 days left
- Full Time
Lead Accountant- Accountant II
Office of Student Accounts
Regular, Exempt, 100% Full Time, Pay Grade 1.3
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Lead Accountant within the Third Party Billing unit in the Office of Student Accounts (OSA). Reporting to the Associate Director, Third Party Military Operations. The Lead Accountant is responsible for the supervision of all Third Party invoicing and collections; while making sure that proper Accounting Standards are adhered to. The Lead Accountant will distribute work, create standard processes and perform complex accounting/analytical work which requires high degree of technical skills, judgment and knowledge of both PeopleSoft and Third Party receivable in general. The responsibilities include: preparing reports, generating third party invoices, monitoring Accounts Receivable collections, handling customer service complaints, serving as the liaison with the Accountants in the Finance Office and acting as back-up for the Third Party staff and other supervisors.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Responsible for the management and oversight of the process of Third Party invoicing and collections. Manages and coordinates the resolution of all Third Party invoicing and collections related discrepancies and issues in a timely fashion.
- Administers and maintains assigned third party payer accounts to verify accuracy of transactions and uniform application of policies, procedures, and acceptable standards.
- Receives, analyzes, adjusts, and prepares various internal/external financial ledgers, schedules, exhibits and summaries along with any assigned databases utilized for financial reporting.
- Ensures that transactions are in accordance with applicable authority, policies, procedures, and are recorded consistent with acceptable accounting standards.
- Reviews and processes routine financial documents such as invoices, vouchers, receipts, and reports, ensuring accuracy of mathematical computations and completeness.
- Maintains manual and automated record keeping systems by tracking, verifying and updating records, files and reports. Inputs, monitors, and corrects data in automated systems; generates reports.
- Perform complex clerical activities essential to Third Party accounting such as ensuring proper billing, invoicing, collections of all related third party accounts receivables, and filing tuition assistance forms and invoices.
- Process and reconcile third party transactions within one business day while ensuring that processes are in accordance with UMUC, State and Federal policies and procedures and are recorded and consistent with acceptable accounting standards while adhering to departmental standards for quality assurance
- Provides general research and overview of various procedures and programs for billing, receipt, and collection
- Provide world-class customer service via the telephone, emails and ticketing system to students, agencies, and internal staff; responding to all internal and external inquiries within 1 business day; and troubleshooting issues accurately and appropriately.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors degree from an accredited institution of higher learning in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration, two (2) years of related experience and two (2) years of supervisory experience is required.
Knowledge of best practices, principles, theories, techniques, and methodology in the field as well as all relevant federal, state, and local rules, regulations, and programs/policies for meeting compliance. The ability to participate in the development of policies and procedures for the unit, to clearly communicate results of work both orally and in writing to clients and management, to cooperate and work with others in order to strengthen and cultivate relationships.
Ability to carry out multiple assignments and plan accordingly in order to meet scheduled deadlines, to effectively implement analytical and organizational skills in order to carry out and follow through with complex assignments for which no clear precedents exist. In addition, the skill of acting as a liaison with key external agencies, campuses, or other high level contacts and of Microsoft Office software and PeopleSoft financial system for advanced analysis and useful reporting.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.