The Government Accountability Project (GAP) was created in 1977 at the Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) in response to several whistleblowers, such as Daniel Ellsberg, who came to IPS about White House, FBI and Pentagon scandals. Since that time, GAP has served as a lifeline to employees of conscience and has helped them release critical information that serves the public interest and the common good. GAP is the nation’s leading whistleblower protection and advocacy organization. A non-partisan public-interest group, GAP litigates whistleblower cases, helps expose wrongdoing to the public, and actively promotes government and corporate accountability. Since its founding, GAP has helped over 7,000 whistleblowers. As a 501(c)(3) non-profit, GAP defends whistleblowers in the court of law and the court of public opinion, while crafting and refining whistleblower protection laws through legislative channels at home and abroad.
GAP is seeking a dynamic Administrative Assistant. The successful candidate will be proactive, have excellent customer service skills over the phone and in person, as well as the ability to work independently with minimal supervision. S/he will also assume general Finance and Human Resources responsibilities. The Administrative Assistant will report directly to the Chief of Staff.
- Answer all incoming calls and redirect to the appropriate staff member.
- Greet and assist all guests.
- Maintain cleanliness of front reception area and copy room.
- Maintain current staff directory.
- Maintain postage meter funds.
- Coordinate meetings with potential vendors as needed.
- Coordinate the cleaning of office as needed.
- Order office and kitchen supplies.
- Troubleshoot office problems and make service calls as needed.
- Create and maintain the supply of all office forms and documents.
- Contact building management/maintenance as needed.
- Receive and distribute all incoming mail and packages.
- Coordinate GAP events, including but not limited to Board meetings and office parties.
- Regularly notify employees of administrative deadlines.
- Prepare employee monthly timesheets.
- Other administrative tasks as needed.
- Prepare orientation packets for new employees/contractors and interns.
- Arrange work space for new staff.
- Maintain personnel folders and contractor records.
- Maintain employee absence and leave folder.
- Other Human Resources tasks as needed.
- Prepare bank deposits.
- Maintain all banking files, vendor files, and payroll reports.
- Process all on-line donations.
- Notarize, prepare and mail State Registrations.
- Assist with monthly expense allocations.
- Other financial tasks as needed.
- Assist GAP’s Intake Department as needed.
- High school diploma or GED certification, required. Associate’s degree or college experience highly desired.
- Experience with office software programs, including proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience effectively entering data, completing and designing forms, and preparing and maintaining electronic and paper filing systems.
- Attention to detail and the ability to multi-task.
- Dependable and reliable.
- Team player and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Previous receptionist and office experience preferred.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Administrative Assistant” to: Michael Termini at firstname.lastname@example.org