Associate from Practice for the Institute for Constitutional Accountability and Protection (ICAP) -
Associate from Practice for the Institute for Constitutional Accountability and Protection (ICAP) - 2, Centers and Institutes - Georgetown University Law Center
The ICAP Associate from Practice supports the institute's work to pursue impact litigation in defense of constitutional rights and values, and to involve Georgetown Law students in such efforts. S/he draws on legal research provided by students enrolled in the practicum offered by the Institute, research assistants, and Institute Fellows to assist in crafting constitutional impact litigation strategy in close coordination with the institute's Senior Litigator from Practice and Executive Director. The ICAP Associate, drawing on extensive previous legal writing experience, carefully drafts, revises, and edits portions of briefing materials to be filed in court pertaining to those cases and assists in mooting the oral advocates arguing the cases; and supports ICAP's leadership in overseeing a practicum seminar designed to involve Georgetown Law students in understanding the nature of constitutional impact litigation and in contributing to ICAP's work. Reporting to both ICAP's Executive Director and Visiting Professor and Senior Litigator from Practice and Visiting Professor of Law, the ICAP Associate from Practice has duties that include but are not limited to:
- Oversees and provides feedback on legal research to determine appropriate ICAP involvement in constitutional litigation likely to have an impact at programmatic or policy level.
- Oversees and provides feedback on legal research to inform ICAP participation in constitutional impact litigation, including In support of written briefing materials and oral argument.
- Develops litigation strategies for pursuing ICAP litigation.
- Drafts briefing materials in connection with ICAP litigation.
- Revises, edits, and provides feedback on briefing materials in connection with ICAP litigation. Moots oral advocates preparing to argue in connection with ICAP litigation.
- Supports ICAP leadership in offering a practicum seminar involving students in ICAP litigation.
- Provides mentorship, feedback, and guidance to practicum students.
- Refines legal writing generated by the practicum and incorporating it into briefing associated with ICAP litigation.
- Bachelor's degree and a Juris Doctorate degree
- At least six years of experience in legal work after law school
- Preference for experience as a federal court clerk - ideally to include at the district court level
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.