Education Director - Special Education - ED
The Foundation Schools is a special education day school which delivers innovative school programs and support services for children and adolescents with emotional disabilities, autism spectrum disorders and other learning challenges. The Foundation Schools is seeking an Education Directors for out Gaithersburg, Maryland school.
For over 40 years, The Foundation Schools’ mix of academic support and therapeutic services has given our students a chance to reach their full potential. The Foundation Schools is currently approved by the State of Maryland and the District of Columbia to provide services to students who have not been successful in their home school’s environment. The Foundation Schools has schools in Gaithersburg and Largo, Maryland that serve over 200 students in grades K-12.
Our Core Values’ provide a strong foundation for our programs, are integrated into our positive behavior intervention system, drive our actions and guide our staff and students daily to TWIRL (Teamwork, Work Ethic, Integrity, Respect, and Leadership). We offer a supportive working environment with small class sizes and excellent resources.
The Foundation Schools offers a comprehensive benefit package including tuition assistance and a generous retirement package. Visit our website at www.foundationschools.org for more information.
The Education Director is responsible for the supervision of the instructional program and instructional staff. The Education Director ensures age-appropriate curriculum is developed and implemented through coordination of the Individualized Education Program, the mastery learning model and individual classroom planning. The Education Director acts as the liaison with all local school systems to manage and monitor students’ academic and behavioral goals and progress. They work with other members of the management team to assist the Principal in the planning and development of the full school program. The Education Director is responsible for the selection, placement, development and supervision of the classroom Teachers, Diagnostic Prescriptive Teachers and other support staff as assigned.
Education, Experience and Certification
- Master’s degree or higher in special education or related field is required
- Eligibility for or a current MSDE Advanced Professional Certification in Special Education, at appropriate level (elementary or secondary) required
- Supervision and/or Administration Certification for appropriate grade levels (elementary or secondary) preferred
- A minimum of five (5) of successful teaching experience in a special education setting, at the appropriate grade level (elementary or secondary), required
- Knowledge of IDEA 2004 and its specific applications to educating students with special education needs and emotional and other disabilities
- Knowledge of curriculum and curriculum adaptations for students with disabilities
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) abilities are a plus
This position is 12 months