Major Gifts Officer Job Description
Major Gifts Officer Job Description
The U.S. Soccer Foundation’s programs are the national model for sports-based youth development in underserved communities. Since its founding in 1994, the Foundation has established programs proven to help children embrace an active and healthy lifestyle while nurturing their personal growth beyond sports. Its cost-effective, high-impact initiatives offer safe environments where kids and communities thrive.
The Major Gifts Officer plays a critical role in the expansion of our fundraising program by focusing on individual gifts at major giving levels and corporate support. This individual is responsible for identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of a portfolio of prospective and current donors. They are also responsible for closing gifts in the $10K - $500K range. The Major Gifts Officer will work closely with Board Members, and a national network of volunteers to achieve the organizations fundraising goals. Travel is required.
The Major Gifts Officer reports to the Vice President of Philanthropy. They will have the support of a Donor Relations team member and be a member of a 5‐person development team. They will also collaborate with the President & CEO and high‐level volunteers.
The Major Gifts Officer will build/manage a personal portfolio of 125 donors; have a minimum of 80 donor visits per year and meet agreed upon financial goals. The Major Gifts Officer will have a proven track record of developing a robust pool of major donors. This includes identifying, cultivating and securing prospects; making direct, face-to-face solicitations’ creating and implementing moves management plans’ and maintaining a donor retention rate of at least 80%.
- Execute the organization’s Major Gifts fundraising activities
- Present funding opportunities to donors/prospects in support of the organization’s overall mission, programs, and other initiatives that may arise.
- Ensure strategies are compatible with other existing initiatives and appeals.
- Set‐up donor visits, engage, ask and close.
- Support the fundraising efforts of high‐level volunteers, including the Board of Directors,and senior team in securing new and renewed gifts—and include them in efforts to secure larger gifts, as necessary.
- Utilize wealth screening and other research information to develop strategies and build the portfolio.
- Work with the Development team to design strategies and events that build the pipeline.
- Take advantage of Development events, including private house parties and fundraisers such as the Capital Soccer Classic.
- Track and report on progress to goal to the Vice President, including contacts, proposals, gifts, pledges, and cash‐flow projections.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5 years+ of direct experience managing fundraising portfolios with demonstrated success in closing gifts in the $10K ‐ $500K range.
- Ability to build and manage a donor portfolio.
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to communicate professionally with volunteers, colleagues, and donors.
- Capable of inspiring support from a variety of constituent groups.
- Self‐motivated with a high level of energy.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast paced non‐profit environment.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office and experience with donor databases(SalesForce preferred).
- Strong sense of fundraising ethics and respect for confidentiality of donor information.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and balance the demands of being on the road, identifying new
- prospects and stewarding existing donors.
- Minimum Education of a Bachelor’s Degree required
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and at least two (2) references to firstname.lastname@example.org noting the position name in the subject line.