Community Outreach Specialist
The Community Outreach Specialist is responsible for community outreach and the communication of division-wide messaging to to a variety of audiences for the Office of Communications.
The position requires a creative, energetic individual who is fluent in English and Spanish and has exceptional interpersonal communication skills. The successful candidate will be able to make connections and relationships in the communities of ACPS, even if they do not understand or speak the languages of those communities. The individual needs to be able to facilitate relationships with a variety of communities throughout Alexandria and conduct research necessary for drawing up community engagement plans.
The position requires attendance and outreach at community meetings and events, which includes some evening and weekend work.
Education: Bachelor's degree required.
Certificates & Licenses: None required.
Experience: Two years' experience working in communications or community engagement or a related field.
- Fluent in English and Spanish with ability to translate and interpret between the two languages.
- Knowledge about electronic communications, including social media, and comfortable using it as a method of encouraging meaningful community engagement in multiple languages through translation.
- The successful candidate will understand the power of storytelling and know how to use it effectively.
- An ability to connect with and convey messages to all kinds of communities in a meaningful way.
- Exceptional planning, organizational and research skills.
- Devise creative ways to ensure that all parts of the community have access to information about ACPS projects, including redistricting and facilities modernization.
- Understand the larger projects being undertaken by ACPS and communicate those concepts simply and effectively, and encourage participation from all segments of our community, including non- and limited English speaking families, new immigrant families and groups of varying socio-economic levels.
- Spanish translation and interpretation of content, including the ACPS website, emergency alerts, video scripts, fliers and other materials for the Office of Communications.
- Organize, plan and coordinate both small- and large-scale events and community meetings.
- Coordinate and connect with community groups and civic associations across the City.
- Coordinate the School PR Liaison Program and other communications initiatives such as back-to-school welcome packets.
- Coordinate the school distribution process for community fliers and other promotional material in line with ACPS policies.
- Conduct research necessary for drawing up community engagement plans.
- Attend and run community meetings and events, which may include evening and weekend work.
- Work closely with the Department of Business Development and Partnerships to ensure that ACPS partners are supported and promoted in accordance with ACPS policy.
- The role is approximately 10 percent translation and 90 percent community engagement, but high proficiency in writing and speaking English and Spanish is a requirement for this position.
- Other duties as assigned