Deputy Vice President, Communications
- Full Time
Position Summary/ Objective
Reporting to the VP of Communications, Marketing, and Development, the Deputy Vice President of Communications plays a key role in developing and implementing a strategic global branding program throughout all Communications activities, including print and digital communications. Responsible for external communications, that includes the development, coordination, and implementation of strategic branding, positioning, and integrated campaign communication plans across the organization. Advance IFAW through effective global communication strategies, informing, educating, and garnering support on behalf of the organization.
The Deputy VP of Communications is responsible for supporting and maintaining the organizational brand; managing the production of all external materials and publications; developing and pitching story ideas; and serving as organizational and project spokesperson to the media and the public.
The Deputy VP of Communications will serve as a senior-level thought partner, mentor, and bridge builder for Communications as a whole.
Role and Responsibilities
- Develop, implement and manage a comprehensive international communications strategic plan for both external and internal audiences. The goal: rally global audiences around IFAW’s mission and compelling program work.
- Manage the execution of the global communications plan including but not limited to:
- Ensure all communications initiatives and efforts in market support the global communication strategy and plan
- Provide direction and oversight to local communication officers to ensure alignment with program and country office staff
- Mine for new creative ways to tell the brand story
- Motivate and assist local communications officers with media relations including the development and pitching of stories
- Manage communications staff to ensure the work supports and enhances fundraising efforts
- Provide media support for fundraising events and public programs where appropriate
- Provide oversight to ensure consistency of brand and message across channels
- Collaborate with the VP of Communications, Marketing, and Development to define and strengthen IFAW’s global brand
- Work collaboratively with the offices of Philanthropy, Programs, and International Operations to ensure cohesive communication across platforms
- Identify media training needs and counsel to leadership, communications staff, and country offices on how best to convey key messages to relevant audiences
- Ensure an on-going understanding of IFAW’s programmatic and strategic campaigns to better brand/promote the organization
- Network between offices to share ideas, knowledge and resources. Know and understand success stories from across the network. Be able to share those stories with the team.
- Serve as a coach to more junior team members to ensure that they are exposed to appropriate opportunities to help them grow in their career and to ensure that they continue to add increasing value to the team
- Drive continuous process improvement to discover efficiencies and make recommendations within the communications department Assure that all communications programs and related staffing levels and budgets are appropriate to accomplish stated goals and the long-term vision of IFAW and its leadership.
- Work with General Counsel and Legal Team to flag and assess legal risks associated with external communications, advise on necessary scope of IFAW’s global trademark portfolio, and advise on public responses relating to legal issues.
- Maintain relationships with Public Relations or Communications firms to further advance IFAW.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Skilled communications or public relations professional with at least seven years of related experience
- Must have experience in strategic planning and project development and management. A thorough understanding of a current communications landscape and related technologies is crucial.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field preferred; international experience a plus
- In depth knowledge of brand positioning
- Clear understanding of how projects and programs fit into the larger brand identity and narrative
- Demonstrates understanding of cultural and industry trends and how to capitalize on them to achieve the organization’s objectives
- Expertise delivering brand messages to multi-cultural audiences across multiple channels
- Proven track record of managing media and journalistic relationships
- Digitally-savvy with a clear understanding of how to leverage social channels to achieve the organization’s communications objectives
- Effective team building skills
- Demonstrates core competencies of a communications professional: entrepreneurial spirit, accountability for results, organizational sophistication, creativity in conceiving and communicating ideas/storylines
- Must possess excellent time management skills and have a sense of urgency; proven ability to work on multiple projects at any given time
- Experience working with Senior Management on institutional strategic planning and change management
- Leadership within a matrix-driven organization is preferred; ability to effectively collaborate across functions and geographies
- Strong personal commitment to animal welfare and wildlife conservation as reflected in IFAW's mission.