Laboratory Technician V-Therapeutic Discovery
Since its inception in 1969, USAMRIID has spearheaded research to develop medical solutions—vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, and information—to protect our military service members from biological threats. Our specialized capabilities include Biosafety Level 3 and Level 4 laboratories, world-class expertise in the generation of biological aerosols for testing candidate vaccines and therapeutics, and fully accredited animal research facilities. The contractor shall provide laboratory support for research efforts of the TDC and other MTS research teams. Support will be required in BSL2; BSL3; and BSL4 environments and thus will require enrollment in the BPRP program. Contractor will conduct basic and applied research on current and emerging threats in support of the biodefense and infectious disease program. The contractor shall aid in the execution of scientific studies; basic cell culture; high throughput screening assays; PCR and other assays; animal procedures; collection/data analyzing; and maintain laboratory and laboratory equipment. Specific Tasks:
- The Contractor will assist in the development; execution; and evaluation of high-throughput screening projects for the antibacterial; anti-viral; and anti-toxin therapeutic areas and assist in the development of novel assays/methods for various programs. This includes basic cell culture to support these efforts. Workload is approximately 50 plates per month. Will assist in screening of molecular compound libraries for therapeutic efficacy to support MCM development. May perform screenings of 10-15 libraries per year.
- The Contractor will perform both in vitro and in vivo microbiological experiments designed to evaluate therapeutic compounds for antibacterial/antiviral/antitoxin activity. In vitro assays include Minimum Inhibitory Concentration (MIC); plaque assays; and cell based reporter assays. Will perform standard molecular biology techniques to support development of these assays. May perform 20 assays per month.
- The Contractor will support approximately 2 mouse studies per month. Will assist with inoculations of animals; collecting specimens for processing; and analysis of those specimens. Analysis may include immunological procedures including Enzyme Linked immunoassay (ELISA); Western blot; and Mesoscale Discovery based assays.
- The Contractor will perform basic molecular biology techniques to support creation of novel cell or enzymatic based assays for evaluation of MCM.
- The Contractor will assist in the preparation of technical reports; standard operating procedures; and manuscripts relating to their research efforts. The contractor is expected to present research findings at one scientific conference per year. Contractor will present results in written and oral format publicly and internally.
- The Contractor will be responsible for assessing and maintaining laboratory supplies in BSL-2; BSL-3 and BSL-4 laboratories. Will assess supplies and ensure supply orders are coordinated with Division resources. Will ensure that all assigned laboratory space is orderly and compliant with all regulatory guidance.
- Bachelors Degree in a scientific discipline.
- Master's degree preferred.
- 2-5 years of related experience in scientific research
- Experience and skill with a large variety of the field's concepts; practices; and procedures is desired ? Must be eligible for enrollment in the Army Biological Personnel Reliability Program (BPRP)