IT Specialist (INFOSEC), ZP-2210-4 (Direct Hire)
IMPORTANT APPLICATION DEADLINE: The first referral of candidates from this announcement will be made from applications received by 11:59 PM EST, July, 25, 2017. Subsequent cut off dates may be established as requested by management.
This is a Direct Hire Public Notice. Please read this Public Notice in its entirety prior to submitting your application for consideration.
This position is located in the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) with two vacancies in Silver Spring, Maryland.
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band. The ZP-4 is equivalent to the GS-13/14.
Category Rating, Veterans Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to this Public Notice.
* A one year probationary period may be required.
* Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
* This position is not in the bargaining unit.
* This vacancy may be used to fill other IT Specialist (INFOSEC), ZP-2210-4 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
- Not Required
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
For all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
To qualify at the ZP-4 (GS-13) level:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: In addition to meeting the IT Competencies above, applicants must also possess one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the ZP-3 (GS-12) in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:
- Managing the security, operation, design, and configuration of hosting environments which encompasses premise elements distributed across an agency/organization and cloud-based elements hosted in off-premise environments;
- Assessing cyber-security requirements and implementing technical and administrative security controls in accordance with the Federal Information Security Modernization Act (FISMA);
- Providing technical expertise in Linux Operation System issues;
- Leading a team of Linux administrators supporting Web Operations utilizing cybersecurity standards; and
- Installing Linux Operating Systems in public or private cloud environments.
Condition of Employment: Information Assurance Technician (IAT) Level 1 certification within one year of employment
Applicants must meet ALL application requirements, to include a complete online resume, by 11:59 p.m. EASTERN TIME (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
As an IT Specialist (INFOSEC), you will perform the following duties:
- Lead Linux task forces or project teams in advanced system software/hardware projects and function as technical authority in all IT assignments.
- Respond and resolve problems with software, hardware and systems management and integrate several hardware, software, and/or computer related services to provide an integrated information system.
- Manage the security, operation, design, and configuration of a hosting environment which encompasses premise elements distributed across NOAA and cloud-based elements hosted in off-premise environments.
- Provide focus on the assessment of cyber-security requirements and implementation of technical and administrative security controls in accordance with the Federal Information Security Modernization Act (FISMA), Department of Commerce (DOC) Commerce Interim Technical Requirements (CITRs) and all other applicable Federal cyber-security mandates.