Audit Student Volunteer
- Full Time
The FMC is an independent regulatory agency with a mission to foster a fair, efficient, and reliable international ocean transportation system and to protect the public from unfair and deceptive practices. FMC offers numerous workplace flexibilities including Alternate Work Schedules and an On-Site Fitness Center. FMC is conveniently located within walking distance to Union Station in an area with numerous amenities. Come and join the dynamic Office of Inspector General at FMC! More information about the FMC and its programs can be found at www.fmc.gov.
FMC is the 2015 Best Places to Work in the Federal Government - Most Improved Small Agency!
Are you looking for a meaningful internship that will give you a competitive edge, marketable experience, and knowledge of the Federal Government while making a difference in people's lives? Check out the challenging opportunities available at the Office of Inspector General (OIG) for the Federal Maritime Commission.
The FMC's OIG has a unique role in government: to be an independent agent of positive change, striving for continual improvement in FMC's management and program operations while maintaining the integrity of the agency's programs and services.
We are seeking motivated students who love challenge, can bring fresh perspectives, and innovative solutions to the OIG! We are looking for students in auditing or accounting.
This position will be open to August 18, 201 or until filled, whichever comes first.
- Not Required
All applicants must meet the basic requirements to be considered eligible by the close of this announcement.
- You must be a United States Citizen and at least 18 years old; AND
- Enrolled as a student on at least a half-time basis and as defined by your educational institution and be in good academic standing as defined by your educational institution; AND
- Submit proof of student eligibility and enrollment for the duration of the student volunteer opportunity. Students must maintain student eligibility and enrollment throughout the duration of the student volunteer opportunity and must be actively enrolled at an accredited institution.
- Students who have graduated or will graduate prior to the completion of the Student Volunteer Program commitment are ineligible to participate without proof of future enrollment at an accredited educational institution.
- Specific work schedules vary and will be set upon selection.
- Education must be from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants should report only attendance and/or degrees from accredited institutions. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx
DURATION OF INTERNSHIP:
OIG Internships normally correspond to the semesters of a standard academic year. Interns should be willing to commit to the following schedules depending on the semester. Reasonable accommodations will be made for job interviews, school business, or other special circumstances.
Spring and Fall:
- Three (3) to four (4) months
- At least twelve (12) consecutive weeks
- At least ten (10) hours per week
- Generally ten (10) weeks
- Summer internships are generally full-time (32-40 hours per week)
- Selectees must submit school transcripts (unofficial is acceptable) and proof of enrollment in a degree or certificate seeking program at an accredited education institution.
- Student volunteers do not receive payment of any kind from FMC.
- Students must sign and adhere to the Federal Maritime Commission's Student Volunteer Service Agreement.
- A representative from selectee's school must sign the Federal Maritime Commission's Student Volunteer Service Agreement form.
- Students are responsible for working with their school academic advisor to request course credits for the Student Volunteer Program.
Audit Internship: The OIG internship program is designed to provide accounting/auditing students with experience in a variety of real world OIG functions. The work normally assigned to an undergraduate auditing/accounting intern consists primarily of:
- Assisting with audits, inspections, evaluations, and other actions as necessary,
- Scheduling and attending meetings,
- General administrative duties, such as filing, copying, and computer work, and
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.