Subject Matter Expert- Drug Discovery
Since its inception in 1969, USAMRIID has spearheaded research to develop medical solutions-vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, and information-to protect our military service members from biological threats. Our specialized capabilities include Biosafety Level 3 and Level 4 laboratories, world-class expertise in the generation of biological aerosols for testing candidate vaccines and therapeutics, and fully accredited animal research facilities.
The Contractor will provide a subject matter expert with to serve as the lead Senior Research Scientist for the Therapeutics Development Center (TDC). The TDC is a recent initiative at USAMRIID that focuses on the discovery new therapeutic entities; engagement of industry partners; and establishment of an internal US Defense pipeline of therapeutic drugs to back-up current and future clinical candidates. This position requires work with biopharmaceuticals that spans preclinical discovery to initiation of early clinical trials. This position also requires work to assemble and manage multi-disciplinary teams.
-Provide strategic and tactical advice to Senior Division and Institute leadership based upon extensive private-sector biopharmaceutical experience for the identification; characterization; and development of medical countermeasures (MCM) against pathogens of biodefense interest. Perform recurring analysis on the TDC's research portfolio and capabilities to identify critical gaps; exceptional results; and/or lack of progress.
- Assist in coordinating the efforts of multi-disciplinary teams of government; contract researchers; clinician; and academic experts supporting the TDC and USAMRIID's mission of MCM development. Manage TDC research portfolios and develop/implement technology road maps within the context of the overall strategy.
- Interact in written and oral format with other services; government agencies; organize and host research planning and coordination meetings; and keep senior leadership abreast of developments. Review research documentation and provide detailed technical notes; reports; and presentations.
- Author or coauthor TDC research proposals; solicitations; and other vehicles to solicit financial support to meet TDC mission/portfolio objectives. This includes answering service calls from government sponsors including the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) and Medical Countermeasure Systems (MCS).
- Identify; foster; and manage external collaborations with other government agencies; non-profits; academic; and private-sector research organizations and companies.
- As the lead Senior Research Scientist for the TDC; the SME will be expected to present work at 1-2 Scientific Meetings per year. Also; this position will require travel to support collaborative efforts with pharmaceutical; academic; and external partners. This requirement is anticipated to comprise 4 trips per year.
PhD in a relevant field of the life sciences (virology; bacteriology; immunology; molecular biology; pharmacology) is highly desired.
Masters Degree in a scientific discipline.
10+ years of directly related work experience and a recognized as an expert in the required area of expertise
Demonstrated their subject matter expertise in a number of areas; and their ability to conduct team-based research through publication of several technical reports and/or peer-reviewed publications Good written and oral communication skills Work well in a team driven environment
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors.With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services.GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.