EXECUTVE DIRECTOR, U.S. BOTANIC GARDEN (SUPERVISORY HORTICULTURIST)
1 day left
- Full Time
At the Architect of the Capitol (AOC), we are proud to be ranked as one of the Best Places to Work in the Federal Government. Our employees are passionate about AOC’s mission to serve Congress and the Supreme Court. AOC is a legislative branch agency, the recognized authority on the preservation, maintenance and construction of the world’s most iconic treasures and buildings on Capitol Hill. As a global destination for thousands of visitors every day, Capitol Hill intersects history, architecture and art with the birthplace of our nation’s laws.
We have a unique opportunity for an energetic, mission-focused leader to become our Executive Director, U.S. Botanic Garden (USBG), reporting directly to the Architect of the Capitol. The USBG is a nationally recognized scientific and educational institution. The incumbent is responsible for human capital leadership, supervision and coaching of employees to serve in a stellar capacity as ambassadors of the Botanic Garden with the visiting public.
The Executive Director plans and implements all USBG activities (e.g., public classes, tours, horticultural displays) and develops strategic plans for the redevelopment and renovation of plant collections, public outreach, scientific interface and ongoing programs.
In this capacity, the incumbent:
- Functions as the Superintendent of the facility, responsible for all activities that have the potential to impact delivery of USBG’s mission.
- Provides leadership for the cultivation and collection of plans from various countries for public exhibition and for use by interested students, scientists and garden clubs.
- Exercises executive responsibility for the operation, maintenance and renovation of the physical plant, including recommendations for short-term and long-term capital improvements and sustainability efforts.
- Develops partnerships that enhance the work of the garden, collaborating with leaders in the fields of botany, horticulture and public administration.
- Prepares recommendations for operating budget related to personnel services, materials and large equipment.
The incumbent serves at the pleasure of the Architect of the Capitol and must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Clearance. Candidates must possess excellent managerial, administrative and budgeting skills. A Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture or related Plant Science discipline from an accredited college or university is required.
To apply, please go to https://aoc.usajobs.gov.
All applications must be made on-line. Vacancy announcement USBG-2017-257 closes: August 17, 2017. Questions about this exciting opportunity may be directed to 202.226.7000. The AOC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.