Supervisory Nurse Consultant
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH), Office of Surveillance and Biometrics (OSB), Division of Patient Safety Partnerships, Clinical Outreach Branch 2, located in Silver Spring, Maryland.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement FDA-CDRH-17-MP-1968371MB under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Who May Apply: Open to all United States Citizens.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.
- Occasional Travel
- 5% Domestic travel may be required
BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
A. Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed. Note: You must submit a copy of your transcript.
B. Registration: Must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. Note: An applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse within six (6) months of appointment. A person appointed pending registration may not be retained beyond six (6) months, or promoted, if registration has not been attained. Note: You must submit a copy of your active, current registration.
ADDITIONAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
You must have one (1) year of specialized experience which is equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in the Federal Service to include providing outreach activities for stakeholder groups concerning the risks, safety and efficacy of medical devices or radiologic products; reviewing adverse event reports for medical devices to identify risks to public health; and overseeing tasks and assessing the work products of a medical device scientific team.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
Conditions of Employment:
- Security and Background Requirements: Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. If hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Pre-employment physical required: No
- Drug testing required: No
- License required: No
- Mobility agreement required: No
- Immunization required: No
- Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: moving expenses, recruitment or relocation incentive; student loan repayment, superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.
- Bargaining Unit Position: No
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing of the announcement.
- Please be advised that this position will be subject to FDA's prohibited financial interest regulation and may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. Applicants are advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the hiring official before accepting this position.
Q - Sensitive
If selected for this position, you will:
- Serve as a principal advisor to the Division Director and be responsible for planning, coordinating, and evaluating the administrative and technical programs and activities of the Branch;
- Serve as the focal point within the Division of Patient Safety Partnerships (DPSP) for the evaluation of postmarket adverse event reports concerning medical devices and radiologic products;
- Receive for resolution unique, far reaching, and previously unresolved problems with medical devices;
- Provide consultant services and coordinate assignments with other nurse consultants, engineers, scientists, specialists, project managers cross Center for Surveillance and Biometrics and/or Agency program, representatives from other Federal, state, and local agencies on investigations and studies, and in reviewing proposals and recommendations, modifies methods and procedures to meet project needs and determine potential project effects on the discipline under study;
- Ensure that personnel management within the organizational entity under supervision is accomplished without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, handicap, or national origin.