Institutional Review Board Coordinator
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
The Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) aims to conduct biomedical research that is responsive to Department of Defense and US Army requirements and delivers lifesaving products including knowledge, technology and medical material that sustain the combat effectiveness of the Warfighter.
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) is participating in an alternative personnel system known as the Personnel Demonstration Project (PDP). The DB-02 payband is equivalent to the GS-05 step 1 to GS-12 step 10 level. For this vacancy, Management would like to hire at the higher end of the DB-02 payband (GS-11, step 1 to GS-12, step 10 equivalent). In keeping with the Demonstration pay fixing policies, employees earning a salary that falls within this payband equivalent, will not receive an immediate pay increase (promotion) if appointed to this position. Future pay increases within the payband will be accomplished through the pay for performance management system.
For more information about Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) please visit our website at http://wrair-www.army.mil.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
- Occasional Travel
- Up to 5% business travel may be required
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Degree: Full four-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
Experience Required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
In addition to the Basic Requirement above, qualified applicants must ALSO possess specialized experience below.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year or similar work equivalent to the (DB-02/GS-09) in the Federal service. Candidates for this position must clearly demonstrate in their resume that they possess specialized experience which involved: 1.) Coordinating national and international programs of regulatory compliance that deal with critical scientific and ethical issues; 2.) Ensuring Human Subjects Research protocols meet regulatory requirements; 3.) Evaluating Human Subjects Research protocol submissions with preliminary risk determinations; and 4.) Serving as the triage point for Human Subjects Research protocol submissions.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Knowledge of Human Subjects Research Protocols
- Skill in Records and Data Management
- Ability to Communicate in Writing
- Ability to Communicate Orally
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you may qualify if your education meets the definitions below:
3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in the health
sciences or allied sciences field.
NOTE: Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please include this information with your application package.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.op.gove/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accrd/index.html
On your resume, please include college, university, dates attended, degree achieved, semester hours earned, GPA, major file of study, 24 semester hours of specific courses hours in your major, if utilizing combination to qualify. Failure to provide this education information on your resume may result in an ineligible rating.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Extended Probationary Period: The length of the probationary period for the Engineers and Scientists Occupational Family will be three years. The probationary period for all other occupational families will be two years.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Transcripts are required at the time of application if qualifying with the education substitution.
- This is a DOD Demonstration Project Position.
- PCS and Relocation Costs are not Authorized.
- Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in the vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
- Coordinate the Human Subjects Research ethical committee.
- Analyze Human Subjects Research Program for compliance with Army, DoD, and Federal regulatory requirements.
- Maintain electronic and physical records of protocols and publications.
- Ensure accuracy of protocol packages.