IT SPECIALIST (NETWORK)
- Full Time
The selectee for this position will serve as an IT Specialist (NETWORK) at the U.S. Naval Observatory under the Navy Meteorology and Oceanography Command in Washington, D.C. The incumbent provides expert technical guidance on the appropriate application of technologies and the use of advanced scientific concepts that support the operational mission.
- Not Required
In order to qualify for this position, your resume must provide sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience.
Individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below:
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: In order to qualify for this position, your résumé must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-12 grade level or pay band in the federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Such experience is typically gained in the IT field or through the performance of work where the primary concern is IT performing duties such as:
- Mastery in networking concepts, principles and practices related to IT systems management, system development, computer systems analysis and design and systems capacity/performance.
- Planning and integrating information technology in an operational environment in disciplines such as scientific data acquisition, data processing, database relationships, data management, networks, communications, satellite data ingest and processing and IT maintenance.
- Planning, overseeing and assisting with installation and maintenance of new or upgraded versions of network equipment including firewalls, routers, switches, and intrusion detection systems.
- Using the latest versions of Cisco IOS, Junos, McAfee, and Sourcefire.
You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test is required. A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the applicant fails to report to the scheduled drug test appointment. Incumbents of drug testing designated positions will be subject to random testing. Drug test results will be provided to the employing activity/command.
This position requires access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) on a continuing daily basis. Incumbent must complete an initial Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) and be favorably adjudicated to meet the Navy SCI personnel security criteria derived from Director of National Intelligence, Intelligence Community Directive 704 (ICD 704). Incumbent must continue to meet ICD 704 personnel security criteria as long as this position is occupied. Periodic updates of the SSBI will be initiated at 4 ½ year intervals to determine the eligibility of the incumbent to continue to be granted access to SCI material and data.
This position has been designated as a Cyber IT/Cybersecurity Workforce position in System Administration. As a condition of employment, incumbents of the position are required to comply with DON Cyber IT/CSWF Program requirements of SECNAV M-5239.2, which include:
1. Earn and maintain appropriate credentials from Cyber IT/CSWF Qualification Matrix (described in SECNAV M-5239.2) associated with the specialty area and level commensurate with the scope of the major assigned duties, and;
2. Participate in continuous learning program as described in the SECNAVINST 1543.2. A minimum of 40 hours of Cyber IT/CSWF-related continuous learning annually documented in a current individual development plan signed by both the employee and supervisor.
The successful selectee will perform the following duties:
- Plan, manage and carry out installations, upgrades, maintenance and planning of new system hardware and software for specific Time Service/Earth Orientation operations.
- Monitor network operations and ensure hardware and software are functioning properly.
- Lead and serve as a member of the cyber security workforce ensuring compliance with all requisite cyber security doctrine.
- Provide technical direction in systems analysis, programming, and testing techniques including assistance in solving the most complex technical problems.