This position is to function as liaison between ITS and the client. It is the incumbent’s responsibility to define and document technical solutions to publishing related features and functionalities needed by the client. The purpose of the position is to maintain close alignment of business strategy of the client with the technology solution portfolio. The incumbent will work closely with the client and coordinate within ITS. The incumbent will also maintain current knowledge of publishing technology solutions, standards and market directions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher degree, in computer science or business / systems analysis.
- At least 10 years’ experience in solutions management, product management, or technical design and architecture, with at least 6 of those years in academic publishing or a closely related discipline.
- Extensive experience serving academic publishing with full familiarity with peer review process, content production workflow, digital assets licensing, publishing marketing operations, content delivery systems, journals publishing processes and books production and publishing.
- Training and experience in application development processes, project management, technology planning and application portfolio management. Experience in release deployment practices, product management, and user experience practices.
- Leadership experience in various development methodology.
- Hands-on experience in designing medium sized application.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Technical Skillset Required:
- Knowledge of latest web technologies such as, Angular, Node, HTML5, etc.
- Knowledge of SQL and non-SQL databases.
- Experience in Object Oriented development in a language like Java.
- Knowledge of development methodologies.
- Act as a point of contact for the client as related to their technology needs. Consult with the client on technology impact and scope of projects. Document and manage the publishing solutions portfolio. Coordinate between ITS staff and the client as related to services, products and projects.
- Map publishing business processes and recommend re-engineering when appropriate.
- Facilitate technology planning and functional requirements gathering sessions. Analyze publishing business context and use that analysis in the design of solutions.
- Act as ITS lead / Project manager as needed to make sure the delivered ITS product meet the need of the client.
- Consult and coordinate across ITS to facilitate alignment of the client solutions with the full range of IT systems and services.
- Work with development managers to design systems and document solutions.
- Develop project plans and provide detailed reporting to all project stakeholders to keep them informed of all technical issues and their resolutions.
- Ensure that projects are delivered according to design specification and on time.
- Work with the development teams to clarify any ambiguity in the requirements or design.
- Incumbent will provide critical information for allocation of funds for product development. These products affect critical revenue streams for the Association.
- Incumbent would participate in the selection of outsource vendors and would provide direction and supervision to the projects undertaken by these vendors.
The American Psychological Association, located at 750 First St NE, Washington D.C., was named a 2014 recipient of the Washington Post Top Workplace. It is metro accessible from the Red Line.
Qualified candidates must apply online through APA’s applicant system and attach a cover letter and resume specifying your salary requirements. Applications that are submitted without both documents are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed for consideration. Once your application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Please make sure to check your Spam folder if you do not receive an email from us.
The American Psychological Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected categories covered under local law.