Senior Writer and Media Specialist
Senior Writer and Media Specialist
University Marketing and Communications
Classified, Exempt, Full-Time Position #00134
The Longwood University Communications team is focused on the goal of delivering compelling content. We value great storytelling that can connect the work, accomplishments and expertise of our students, faculty and staff to a larger world. We are looking for a team member with an expert eye for a story who can generate engaging content and work with other members of the team to build the Longwood narrative.
Newsgathering requires you to be self-motivated, energetic and creative as you meet regularly with faculty, staff, and administrators and then develop ideas into content that supports a variety of themes and campus-wide initiatives—in a variety of forms. You will be working in long-form, magazine-style journalism, feature stories for a range of publications and outlets, short-form content for the web, and more. This is a job for a writer with creativity and an eye for a story who wants to be part of a dynamic team and who is not afraid of taking on big challenges.
Longwood is a historic, mid-sized liberal arts university with a commitment to its mission to create citizen leaders. In 2016, Longwood hosted the only vice presidential debate of the general election. Located in downtown Farmville, the university community is central to the thriving, growing college town that is brimming with development and cultural activity. Celebrated regionally for more than 175 years, Longwood is emerging as a national leader in 21st century liberal arts education.
- Pursue and develop content for key audiences
- Work with social media team members, photographers and videographers to optimize content to connect on different platforms
- Edit and develop content for university publications, including the thrice-yearly Longwood magazine, circulation 40,000
- Develop and maintain relationships with faculty, staff and administrators
- Develop relationships with and pitch stories to regional and national journalists
- Remain mission- and goal-oriented, while placing the brand and strategic marketing needs first
- Other duties assigned by the Assistant Vice-President of Communications
- High School diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism or related field preferred
- Significant experience developing and writing compelling news stories
- Ability to synthesize and translate expertise and research into engaging content
- Track record of collaborating with team members
- Ability to receive and incorporate feedback
- Experience in writing in different styles and forms
- Ability to manage and adapt to multiple priorities and deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to work effectively under pressure and multitask
- Strong portfolio showcasing diverse, creative writing samples
- Knowledge of current news and marketing trends in higher education preferred
Pay Band 4. Commonwealth of Virginia benefits accompany this position. A successful criminal background investigation is required. Position will be posted a minimum of five days. Review of applications will begin immediately. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. Submit a completed Commonwealth of Virginia application online at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com. Applicants must include all qualifications and work history on the State application. A link to a varied portfolio of at least five writing samples must be included in the state application or attached resume. Consideration for an interview is based solely on the information within the application. Resumes will not substitute for a complete application.
201 High Street
Farmville, VA 23909
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Longwood University will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodations to applicants in need of accommodations in order to provide access to the application and/or interview process. You are not required to note the presence of a disability on your application. If, however, you require accommodations in the application and/or interview process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 434-395-2074 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Annual Fire and Security Report(s) include campus security information, campus fire statistics, safety procedures, and provides statistics for criminal and disciplinary offenses. The report(s) are provided annually in compliance with the Clery Act and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA). Longwood University’s Annual Safety and Security report and the Annual Fire Safety report is available at: http://solomon.longwood.edu/media/police/solomon/ASA-2015-2016.pdf. A hard copy of the Annual Security and Fire Safety reports and/or a copy of the Fire Log are maintained at the Longwood Police Office and will be provided upon request.
A diversified workforce is an important part of our strategic plan. EOE/AA (07/13/2017)