Master Combination Inspector
Inspects residential structures and light commercial to ensure compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC). Examines and evaluates building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical systems in light commercial and residential structures. Communicates regulations to property owners or tenants, building engineers, contractors, other government agencies, and citizens. Maintains reports and information entered into a laptop computer system. Handles administrative work associated with residential and light commercial inspections. Investigates complaints related to new construction and unsafe existing structures.
Is required to drive a county vehicle to perform the essential functions of the position. Duties are performed under general supervision.
Position may be underfilled as a Combination Inspector; the underfill requirements are stated below in the Employment Standards section.
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to graduation from high school or a GED issued by a state department of education; and five years of construction and/or inspection experience.
This position may be underfilled as a Combination Inspector (Grade S21, $49,623 to $82,704.96). The Minimum Qualifications for the Combination Inspector are: Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to graduation from high school, or a GED issued by a state department of education; plus four years of residential construction and/or inspection experience for positions assigned to residential inspections or four years of commercial construction and/or inspection experience for positions assigned to commercial inspections.
For more information on the underfill employment standards and requirements, please visit this link for the Combination Inspector and refer to the Employment Standards and Certificates and Licenses Required sections.
Knowledge of the Uniform Statewide Building Code, including the model code referenced documents. Experience reading and interpreting residential and commercial building plans. Ability to enter data into a personal or laptop computer. Experience organizing and conducting training classes. Effective oral and written communication skills. Customer service skills or public contact experience.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Possession of a valid motor vehicle driver's license. Certification by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (VDHCD) in all of the following:
- Building Inspector One and Two Family Dwelling
- Electrical Inspector One and Two Family Dwelling
- Mechanical Inspector One and Two Family Dwelling
- Plumbing Inspector One and Two Family Dwelling
- Building Inspector General
- Electrical Inspector General
- Mechanical Inspector General
- Plumbing Inspector General
The following physical requirements are with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Ability to lift 50 pounds with assistance.
- Ability to operate keyboard-driven equipment.
- Ability to distinguish colors of wiring.
- Ability to work in adverse weather.
- Ability to climb step ladders and ladders up to 40 feet with required safety equipment.
- Ability to crawl, crouch, stoop and work in uncomfortable conditions.
- Ability to walk/traverse through and over various terrain.
- Ability to climb multiple levels of stairs.
- Ability to reach with arms extended above the head.
- Ability to go up and down steep inclines.
- Ability to walk and adequately maneuver in an outside/inside environment.
The appointee(s) to the position(s) will be required to complete a criminal background and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Panel interview, may include a written exercise.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.