The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws; safeguard cyberspace; and ensure resilience to disasters. We achieve these vital missions through a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; Join DHS.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services secures America's promise as a nation of immigrants by providing accurate and useful information to our customers, granting immigration and citizenship benefits, promoting an awareness and understanding of citizenship, and ensuring the integrity of our immigration system. Visit us here for more information.
Every day our Accountants direct, implement, coordinate, and oversee a variety of audit, internal control and financial-related activities impacting DHS activities or operations.
This position of ACCOUNTANT starts at a salary of $94,796 GS-13 Step 1 grade level, with promotion potential to$145,629 GS-14 Step 10 grade level.
Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Office of Chief Financial Officer, Washington, DC within U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here.
Status candidates may also apply at: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474119200
This position is not in the bargaining unit.
This position is not considered "essential" for purposes of reporting to work when the facility might otherwise be closed.
Relocation expenses are authorized if you are a USCIS employee assigned to the Refugee, Asylum and International Operations program and have been approved for rotation from an overseas assignment. Relocation expenses for USCIS employees assigned to an OCONUS location will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Note: USCIS may fill one or more positions using this vacancy.
- Not Required
BASIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENT:
- Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
- Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
GS-13: You qualify at the GS-13 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, which is equivalent to the GS-12 level in the federal government, that equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. You must have experience performing the following duties:
- Implementing major policy and system changes and addressing current and future requirements to meet established goals and objectives.
- Reviewing and interpreting regulations, implementing standards, identifying changes in policies and procedures and making necessary changes.
- Overseeing accuracy of data produced by accounting systems, reconciling data from multiple accounting systems, and taking corrective action to ensure that information produced is accurate, timely and relevant.
- Implementing internal controls to ensure system integrity, including evaluating the adequacy of safeguards and compliance with law and regulation.
- Determining accounting system adequacy and developing progressive fiscal management techniques and practices.
- Identifying issues, discrepancies or other problems and recommends corrective action including changes in systems, policy and procedures.
- Short and long-range planning and developing activities to address current and future requirements of assigned systems and operations and to meet established goals and objectives.
- Assuring accuracy of data produced by accounting systems and reconciles data from multiple accounting systems.
Please read the following IMPORTANT information to ensure we have everything we need to consider your application.
It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date. Your resume serves as the basis for qualification determinations and must highlight your most relevant and significant work experience and education (if applicable), as it relates to this job opportunity. Please be clear and specific when describing your work history as we cannot make assumptions regarding your experience. Your application will also be rated and ranked among others, based on your responses to the online questions.
Please ensure EACH work history includes ALL of the following information:
- Job Title (include series and grade if Federal Job)
- Duties (be specific in describing your duties)
- Employer's name and address
- Supervisor name and phone number
- Start and end dates including month, day and year (e.g. June 18 2007 to April 05 2008)
- Start and end dates for each grade/pay level if you've held a federal position.
- Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
If you are using current or prior federal experience as a basis for qualifying for this position, the grade levels and length of employment (mm/dd/year) at each grade level must be listed in your work history. This information will be further validated if selected for this position.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience)
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build criteria competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer service. Please provide the dates and amount of time/hours worked earning this experience.
EDUCATIONAL SUBSTITUTION: There is no educational substitution at these grade levels.
Probationary Period:You may be required to serve a probationary period of 1 year.
The qualifications for this position must be met by 11:59 PM (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement ( 07/21/2017).
Residency Requirement: There is a residency requirement for all applicants not currently employed by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. This residency requirement states that candidates must have, for three of the last five years immediately prior to applying for this position; (1) resided in the United States; OR (2) worked for the United States Government as an employee overseas in a Federal or Military capacity, OR (3) been a dependent of a U.S. Federal or Military employee serving overseas.
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence, and limited complexity.
As a ACCOUNTANT, you will:
- Compile and prepare financial schedules, statement footnotes, financial crosswalks, detailed analysis, summaries and reports in accordance with branch, division, office, agency, departmental and governmental reporting requirements.
- Post monthly adjustments and entries to the agency general general ledger in accordance with accounting standards and Treasury guidance.
- Track and reconcile financial transactions and balances, specifically focused on transaction that effect the Fund Balance with Treasury.
- Compile the monthly Fund Balance with Treasury reconciliation. Identify, research and resolve all differences between agency and Treasury records.
- Develop, document, implement, and enforce accounting, financial management, and internal control policies and procedures related to the agency's financial transactions and balances.