Management Support Assistant
This position is located in the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC). The National Museum of African American History and Culture is the largest national museum for the study and exhibition of African American history and culture. Its primary purposes are to acquire, maintain and preserve objects which document social, cultural, political, military, technological and scientific developments in the United States related to the African American experience; to conduct scholarly research designed to make significant contributions to the body of knowledge in the field of African American history, to publish findings for both scholarly and general audiences; and to interpret historical developments through public exhibits and programs as well as digital content.
- Not Required
Experience: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-06 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position specialized experience is defined as eceiving, sorting, and screening incoming and outgoing mail; performing a range of administrative support duties (e.g., purchasing supplies and/or equipment; maintaining hard-copy and electronic files; assisting with property movement of materials, furniture, and equipment scheduled to be moved or relocated).
Grade 7: Education is generally not applicable for the substitution of the 1 year of
specialized experience. However, graduate education may be credited in those few instances where the graduate education is directly related to the work of the position.
Or a Combination
Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic qualifications; for example, a half year of experience and a half year of education in the field may be qualifying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
For information on qualification requirements, see Qualification Standards Handbook for General Schedule Positions viewable on the web at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
The purpose of this position is to provide administrative support to the Office of Operations. The incumbent works under the supervision of the Associate Director for Operations. Duties include:
- ordering a variety of goods and services, including office and classroom supplies, technology, purchase orders, invoices, honoraria, custom goods or services (such as design, production), or programs which require the whole range of supporting procurement/contracting transactions;
- determining or verifying financial and other codes based on transaction, source, purpose, and program;
- preparing materials such as correspondence, reports and briefing slides using a variety of office software and drafting and editing material based on past practice, verbal instructions and knowledge of office programs;
- receiving, delivering, collecting, sorting, and routing incoming and outgoing mail, documents, papers and other materials throughout the Museum, Pennsy and/or office within Capital Gallery;
- assisting the accountable property officer with property movement of materials, furniture, equipment and supplies scheduled to be moved or relocated to and within the three NMAAHC campuses;
- preparing travel authorizations and vouchers in on-line system and obtaining necessary approvals; and
- fulfilling and delivering supplies to NMAAHC offices.