Writer / Editor
The Writer/Editor supports the day-to-day operations of Conservation International's (CI) blog, “Human Nature,” and undertakes other writing and editing assignments as needed. As a member of the Editorial team within the Brand and Communications Division, the Writer/Editor helps ensure CI’s blog remains a timely, accurate, media-rich online publication that engages and grows audiences, attracts press interest, builds a community of CI supporters, demonstrates CI’s expertise and effectiveness, and develops and broadcasts the voice of CI staff as thought leaders and “go-to” experts.
Working under the direction of the Senior Editor, the Writer/Editor builds all blog posts on the Human Nature site; conceptualizes, pitches, writes and edits articles; sources images, maintains the blog calendar; writes social copy for all posts, transcribes recorded interviews; reaches out to staff to secure posts highlighting CI’s work around the world; and completes other writing and editing assignments in support of Brand and Communications.
Working with the Senior Analytics Coordinator, s/he is responsible for aggregating reports that analyze CI blog data and trends, including growth rates, time spent online, popular themes, resonance in social media and geographic/demographic traffic.
Daily blog management
- Ensure timely publication of multiple posts per week, including news-oriented posts.
- Ensure all blog content is in line with CI mission and messaging.
- Ensure posts are edited and approved before being built.
- Build posts on Human Nature.
- Maintain the blog calendar to reflect the latest publishing schedule.
- Create social copy for all posts.
- Work with the web and IT teams to troubleshoot any technical issues with the site.
Content gathering from across CI and storytelling
- Work with the Senior Editor to conceptualize, pitch, write and edit posts for the blog in line with the blog. strategy and project calendars, with a sharp eye to what’s happening in the news.
- Identify opportunities for staff to write blog posts about their work.
- Work with the Manager of Photography to source images for posts.
Data gathering and analysis
- Analyze, monitor and report on traffic usage, trends and gaps to identify and recommend new strategies, incentivize participation and track growth.
- Provide updates to communications division about data, and provide recommendations for more effective strategies or activities to reach goals.
- Support CI’s Brand + Communications department as a writer and editor of additional materials, including website copy, fact sheets, annual reports and collateral materials.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- This position is located in Arlington, VA. Some international travel may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- 2-4 years related work experience.
- Strong writing and editing skills, with experience with AP style.
- Background in communications, journalism or online media.
- Ability to plan and execute outstanding editorial content under deadline pressures.
- Ability to work both independently and in team atmosphere.
- Ability to understand how individual projects fit into larger strategic goals.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills in working with both colleagues and senior leadership.
- Experience with blogging platforms and CMS (especially WordPress) and analytic tools (such as Google Analytics).
- Flexible and solutions-oriented.
- Self-starter and a creative communicator with an understanding of and appreciation for CI’s mission, vision and messaging.
- Experience translating jargon-heavy, scientific information into content for an educated, informed general audience.
- Experience coordinating and curating multimedia content for online production.