2 days left
- Full Time
The position is located in the Smithsonian Institution’s Office of Visitor Services. The Smithsonian Institution is the world’s largest museum and research complex, consisting currently of 19 museums, galleries, the National Zoological Park, and nine research facilities. The Office of Visitor Services (OVS) is the principal office at the Smithsonian responsible for understanding, designing and improving all stages of a visitor’s journey, from planning, to visit and post-visit experiences.
- Not Required
Experience: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the grade 7 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position Specialized experience is defined as providing oversight, leadership, and guidance to volunteers; coordinating all operational aspects of an information desk or visitor center; and performing a host of administrative duties which facilitate the effective operation of volunteer and visitor center programs and activities.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Or Education: Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's or equivalent degree related to the position may be substituted to meet the experience requirements.
Or a Combination: Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic qualifications; for example, a half year of experience and a half year of education in the field may be qualifying.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Oversees three volunteer programs including training, scheduling, and assessing volunteers and reviewing and developing policies and procedures.
- Assists in managing the day-to-day operations of the Visitor Center including checking interactive elements daily and reporting issues, monitoring visitor accessibility throughout public spaces, and initiates facilities requests.
- Communicates clearly and effectively with volunteers, OVS staff, and other Smithsonian staff regarding upcoming events and programs at the Castle, and participates in Castle staff meetings as needed and/or assigned.
- Gathers reports and make recommendations on Castle Volunteer Program quarterly metrics.
- Performs studies, special projects, and additional assignments as directed by the supervisor.