Physical Scientist, GS-1301-13 (DE/CR)
1 day left
- Full Time
This position is located in the National Weather Service, Office of the Assistant Administrator, in the Office of Organizational Excellence, located in Silver Spring, MD.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NWS-AA-2017-0022 which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
*A one year probationary/trial period may be required.
*Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
*This position is not in the bargaining unit.
This vacancy may be used to fill other Physical Scientist, GS-1301-13 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
- Occasional Travel
- Up to 10% of domestic travel may be required.
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: This position requires applicants to meet a Basic Education Requirement in addition to at least one year of Specialized Experience OR substitution of education for experience OR combination in order to be found minimally qualified. Transcripts must be submitted with your application package. You MUST meet the following requirements:
Degree: Physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics.
Combination of education and experience: Education equivalent to one of the majors shown above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
This experience need not have been in the federal government. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies; knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify at the GS-13 level:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:
- Working in and/or leading teams across all levels of an organization (e.g. field and HQ) to successfully accomplish a goal in a scientific organization.
- Demonstrating effectiveness in producing mission oriented results.
- Performing program management of weather, water, and climate programs or operations.
- Communicating, both orally and written, on science-based information to a spectrum of internal and external stakeholders
- Producing credible analyses, recommendations, or evidence.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Education equivalent to one of the majors shown above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
College Transcript: If you are qualifying based on education, submit a copy of your college transcript that lists college courses detailing each course by the number and department (i.e., bio 101, math 210, etc.), course title, number of credit hours and grade earned. You must submit evidence that any education completed in a foreign institution is equivalent to U.S. education standards with your resume. You may submit an unofficial copy of the transcript at the initial phase of the application process. If course content cannot be easily identified from the title of the course as listed on your transcript, you must submit an official course description from the college/university that reflects the content at the time the course was taken.
Note: Your college transcript is used to verify successful completion of degree, or college course work. An official college transcript will be required before you can report to duty.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
The individual selected for this position will:
- Develop and manage processes for planning and implementing large-scale, significant changes in an organization, services, and operations, with a focus on organizational culture.
- Coordinate and oversee high profile change activities for an organization, and evaluate if changes implemented are effective.
- Strengthen organizational capabilities to drive customer-focused, outcomes and driven mission performance.
- Routinely review strategic drivers, assesses progress toward strategic objectives, and identify strategic projects.
- Interacs strategically with internal and external stakeholders
- Develop, manage, and conduct online and residence training and presentations relating to large-scale significant changes to the organization.