Office of Student Accounts
Regular, Exempt, 100% Full Time, Pay Grade 1.3
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an Accountant. Under the supervision of the Assistant Director, the Accountant performs a variety of routine technical accounting and/or auditing work that requires the application of accounting theory, practices including performing and reviewing student account reconciliations, preparing student accounting reports utilizing manual methods and/or computer software. Ensuring that student account transactions are in accordance with UMUC, State, Federal policies, procedures are recorded consistent with acceptable accounting standards; providing customer service to students, including troubleshooting, and responding to the student inquiries.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Reconciling complex accounts with a large volume of credit card payment transactions, ensuring funds are received from the State Treasurer's office - Banking Services (R*Stars), validating the daily payments posting to the Student Financials, identifying and correcting any reconciling outstanding items in a timely manner, and analyzing processes associated with assigned accounts to assist in reconciling.
- DVTR/GAE tuition adjustment posting, reviewing the registration details by term, Academic for the military residency status, looking up for the tuition adjustment item types for each divisions, determine the appropriate item types to use based on the classes, processing the manual post tuition adjustments within 1-2 business days
- Student Credit Card Refund US Processing, obtain the pending credit card refund report, review and processes student credit card refund in Student Financials (PeopleSoft) and Touch Net (payment gateway system), ensure accuracy of mathematical computations and completeness, compile spreadsheet of data for audit purposes on the Google Drive, and correspond with OSA sections to resolve student account issues.
- Administer the Book Allowance and Book Purchase reconciling for MBS Direct Invoice. Ensure the total of charges in the file is accurate in PeopleSoft, balance the book purchases to the book allowances against to the invoices, process the adjusting entries as when needed, request payment of invoices to Accounts payable for payment to MNS Direct, and compile the data needed for reporting purposes.
- Provide world-class customer service via the telephone, emails and ticketing system to students, agencies, and internal staff; responding to all internal and external inquiries within one business day; and troubleshooting issues accurately and appropriately.
- Acts as a back for other Accounting staff and completes job processes as needed in their absence
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.