Career Advisor, National Security and Intelligence, Graduate Career Center - Walsh School of Foreig
6 days left
- Full Time
Career Advisor, National Security and Intelligence, Graduate Career Center - Walsh School of Foreign Service (SFS)
Georgetown's Walsh School of Foreign Service (SFS) is committed to assuring that our graduate students utilize fully their academic studies in making career choices. Its Graduate Career Center (GCC) serves students and alumni from eight SFS graduate programs as well as four programs from the Government Department, providing individual career advising, targeted job search skills workshops, a regular Career Bulletin, access to targeted employers through information/industry sessions and site visits and access to WalshWorks, a database featuring thousands of job and internship postings. The Career Center advises approximately 1,000 master's degree candidates in 8 SFS graduate programs and 3 graduate programs in the School of Government, delivering critical services that our graduate students cannot receive at any other facility at the University. The Center also delivers support to more than 4,000 alumni as they advance in their careers.
The Career Advisor for National Security and Intelligence contributes to the development and implementation of career services by providing career counseling services for both our graduate students and alumni, with specific focus on students and alumni in security Studies Program. Reporting to the Director, the Career Advisor has duties that include but are not limited to:
- Works with students to develop individual career development plans for their 2-year stay at the university, meets one-on-one with students to address resume and cover letter preparation, plans and advises about internships, and conducts mock interviews.
- Manages and evaluates all career development workshops, and job search and strategy skills; and develops take-away information and materials from such sessions.
- Develops career development materials - such as examples of best practice resumes, and cover letters) for hard copy and web delivery.
- Master's degree in counseling or a related field
- At least 5 years' experience in the field of career development in a university or other educational setting - experience applicable to working with graduate students seeking employment in international affairs (preference for experience working with career development programs)
- Knowledge of hiring practices in the National Security and Intelligence communities
- Solid understanding of career opportunities in the public, private, and non-profit sectors
- Proficiency in related technologies with ability to contribute to web content concerning resumes and cover letters, to use a video camera to help students with mock interviews, and to contribute to, search, and use databases
- Certified in adult learning theory as it relates to career management, including tools such as MBTI, DISC and StrengthsFinder
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, flexibility, and ability to understand the varied career interests of current graduate students
- Previous experience using the Symplicity database platform
- Experience using career-coaching models
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.