(2) CHILD CARE SPECIALISTS (1 BILINGUAL)
7 days left
- Full Time
Job Type: Full-Time Location: 2100 Washington Blvd., Arlington, VA (Sequoia Plaza) *ART Bus Accessible*, Virginia These employees are part of the Child Care Office in the Child & Family Services Division and will be responsible for ensuring that child care facilities and programs located within the County meet licensing requirements. One employee will be bilingual with the ability to communicate in Spanish, both orally and in writing, as he/she will interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population. Both Child Care Specialists will spend approximately 65% of the time traveling within Arlington to perform on-site visits and investigations.
- Enforces County and State child care regulations at private homes and in public and private early childhood programs, including child care centers and other institutions;
- Investigates to determine the validity of child care complaints of both family child care providers and child care centers;
- Develops written corrective plans which identify any violation(s) and follows up with providers to assure compliance;
- Makes referrals to appropriate agencies such as Child Protective Service;
- Provides technical assistance and training to child care providers;
- Liaise with professionals from agencies and organizations connected to the early childhood education and child care population;
- Promotes public awareness of parent/daycare provider responsibilities through orientations which provide information and give assistance to those applying for childcare licensing; and
- Collaborates with divisional contract specialists to initiate new and to renew contracts.
Selection Criteria: Minimums: A Bachelor's degree in Child Development, Early Childhood Education, Child Psychology, or a closely related field plus two years of experience in child care administration involving one or more of the following areas: administering or enforcing child care regulations; managing a child care facility or school; managing a licensed private child care business; and/or implementing government-sponsored early childhood education programs.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Licensing child care services; and
- Conducting and/or coordinating technical assistance and/or training for child care providers; and
- Providing guidance and counseling on child care issues to the general public and/or to social services clients.
Special Requirements: Applicant must possess (or obtain by time of appointment) a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain (or the applicant must provide) a copy of the applicant's official state or district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
A pre-hire background check will be made on candidates selected for employment. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. Candidates may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain background information.
An assessment of oral Spanish proficiency will be required before a candidate can be appointed to the bilingual position(s). The incumbent in the position(s) will receive the language pay premium on all hours worked and on paid leave hours.
Additional Information: Work Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. Occasional evening and weekend hours will be required for training sessions with child care providers and staff.