Job Title: Safety Manager
FLSA Status: EXEMPT
Supervisor: Director of Safety & Training
Positions Supervised: None
The Safety Manager is responsible for the management, oversight, and planning of day-to-day activities of Alexandria Transit Company’s (ATC) safety training, loss control, and risk management programs. The Safety Manager establishes basic safety expectations throughout the company by coordinating and implementing effective safety training procedures, processes, and programs that help prevent accident and injuries. The Safety Manager grows and bolsters a genuine safety culture by providing all employees with a functional skill set that reduces accident occurrences in the work place and in their personal lives. This position is responsible for ensuring that safety is foremost in the minds of all employees by developing, coordinating and implementing safety training and loss control procedures, processes and programs.
1. Generally responsible for managing safety, loss control and worker’s compensation programs for ATC.
2. Oversees Training Officers, Revenue Coaches, Bus Operators, New Operator Candidates and Trainees and anyone who trains for these positions, assigning and scheduling work, maintaining appropriate safety procedures, monitoring work levels, counseling employees and establishing work methods.
3. Provides feedback to the Director of Safety and Training regarding safety training needs and loss control processes and assists in establishing programs to meet those needs.
4. Maintains employee relations including fostering a positive work environment, promoting recognition for performance and ensuring a customer focused approach to work.
5. Must possess the ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
6. Oversees the disciplinary function of the Safety and Training Department ensuring fairness, timely action, compliance with Bus Operators’ Policies and Procedures Handbook, and proper documentation.
7. Responsible for creating and managing safety management informational databases and reports.
8. Monitors employees to ensure that ATC Policies & Procedures are followed regarding safety protocols. Provides feedback to the Director of Safety and Training suggesting proposed updates and changes to these policies.
9. In coordination with the Human Resources Department, Manages confidential records and databases for vehicle accidents, on-the-job injuries, CDL expiration dates and DOT medical certifications, and DMV driver records.
10. Conducts Safety Review Committee meetings to evaluate and categorize all accidents according to well-established guidelines from the National Safety Council and to promote through the SRC
company wide safety expectations and awareness.
11. Manages the ATC Safety Program which includes:
a. Establishing and monitoring daily accident procedures through accident investigation and follow-up.
b. Reviewing, recording, classifying, and filing accident and incident reports.
c. Maintaining accurate safety records for all employees.
d. Planning and conducting safety meetings on a regular basis.
e. Examining routes, equipment, and work methods for safety hazards.
f. Analyzing and preparing safety statistics with recommendations for improving safety procedures and methods.
g. Retraining employees in safety procedures to reduce preventable accidents.
h. Reviewing driving habits by conducting ride-checks with operators to observe safety procedures first hand.
i. Conducting or overseeing the on-the-scene investigations of all accidents involving ATC vehicles.
j. Compiling and completing accident and injury reports and providing them to the insurance agencies within the allotted time for processing.
12. Investigates all safety complaints to understand the reason for the complaint and what action should be taken as a proper response.
13. Collects and compiles statistical safety data and trends to use as a catalyst for retraining, refresher training, safety meetings, etc.
14. Prepares safety statistical reports for the GM, AGM, and Director of Safety & Training.
15. Coordinates with Director of Safety & Training on ATC’s involvement with local emergency responders, acts as a liaison during emergencies.
16. Prepares and submits reports as required to the Director of Safety and Training.
17. Reports any safety related concerns to the General Manager when they remain unaddressed by other staff within the organization. Ensures that critical safety issues are addressed promptly and effectively, taking all measures necessary to ensure compliance with safety standards.
18. Cooperatively and efficiently performs additional related tasks and duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of transit services, routes, and time schedules.
- Ability to plan, organize and evaluate transit safety and training programs and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; to include providing guidance and instruction to subordinates.
- Must possess a valid Commercial Driver’s License from state of residence and an acceptable driving record throughout employment.
- Ability to make independent decisions within scope of responsibility.
- Must possess excellent customer relations and employee motivational skills.
- Thorough working knowledge of computers, hardware and software programs (specifically those related to Transit Operations and Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.)
Emotional, Psychological and Physical Requirements:
- Work possible long hours and endure high levels of stress
- Handle emergency situations
- Counsel employees
- Make quick and concise decisions
- Professionally Interact with the public
- Concentrate on priority tasks with frequent interruptions
- Sits frequently for long periods
- Moves throughout facilities and grounds
- Spends time on the road in varying weather conditions assisting with safety & training needs
- Lifts light loads at times (<50 lbs)
- Must be physically able to work with passengers who use mobility devices.
- Possession or ability to obtain within 60 days of hire a Class B Commercial Driver’s License (with Passenger and Air-Brake endorsements)
- Acceptable criminal history record and child protective services check upon hire that must be maintained throughout employment
- Acceptable drug screen results upon hire and as required by policy for position
Education and Experience:
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college with an associate’s degree or higher.
- Extensive experience in operation of public or commercial transportation services.
- Supervisory and administrative experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Federal Transit Administration (FTA) programs and policies is preferred.
- Knowledge of OSHA programs and policies is preferred.
- Extensive overall experience may be considered in lieu of advanced education.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume to Marvin Johnson, Director of Finance and Administration, at email@example.com.
Apply for Safety Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly