Writer (Reporter/Photographer) NF-4
Stars and Stripes has reported first-hand on military conflicts since the Civil War and continuously since World War II by reporting information and news of interest and value. We offer the military community a choice of media to assure access by service members, their families, veterans, civilian employees, and other interested readers. Our news gathering and publishing activities are guided by the principles of a free press and are free of any and all outside control.
This is a Nonappropriated Fund Regular Full-Time (RFT) position that includes NAF Benefits with 40 guaranteed work hours per administrative week. This position serves as a Writer (Reporter/Photographer) for Stars and Stripes and is located at the Pentagon in Arlington, VA. May be required to work occasional weekends and holidays based on assignments.
The Area of Consideration for this vacancy announcement is U.S. Citizens.
For instructions regarding submission of your application for Nonappropriated Fund (NAF) vacancy announcements, please review the "How to Apply" section of this announcement
- Occasional Travel
- 10% of travel required
At least one year demonstrated experience in reporting and writing for a newspaper, journal, wire service, magazine, or online journalism. Previous work experience covering a variety of topics from hard news to features. Demonstrated strong English language verbal and written skills. Ability to use computers with standard software package is required. Ability to take and transmit publishable photographs with a digital camera.
Master's or equivalent graduate degree or two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a degree in Journalism or a related field.
*Unofficial transcripts must be submitted at time of application in order to support education requirements (only applies to applicants claiming positive education qualifications).*
Conditions of Employment:
1. If selected, a completed and signed copy of our job application form (DA Form 3433) is required prior to entrance on duty. (Click here to view form).
- Reports and writes stories that adhere to the highest principles of professional journalistic ethics.
- Aggressively responds to breaking spot news.
- Reports feature stories that provide diversity and broad audience appeal.
- Provides photographs to accompany stories and looks for opportunities to supply stand-alone feature or news photographs.
- Regularly produces profile stories and longer pieces on significant newsmakers and leaders within the coverage area.
- Develops sources and contacts within the civilian and military coverage area.
- Strives to establish a professional working relationship and maintains regular communication with key military Public Affairs Officers.
- Builds strong public relations within the serviced community.
- Files daily and weekly story budgets with supervising assignment editor.
- Coordinates daily with editors to review assignments covering U.S. military personnel and issues within the bureau coverage area.
- Deploys for coverage of significant events of interest to the reading audience.
- Provides a local voice and stays abreast of regional, national and international news for possible impact on the newspaper readership.
- Involves other Stars and Stripes reporters in regionalizing local stories.
- Works closely and shares pertinent information with reporters covering other areas within the same geographic region.
- Reviews pertinent publications in the assigned coverage area, including base newspapers and Web sites, for story ideas or tips about active duty and/or military community members.
- Maintains current knowledge of military units assigned to coverage area and assigned topical issues.