Supervisory Health System Specialist
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
- 50% or Greater
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
To be considered minimally qualified for this position at the GS-14 grade level, you must have (in addition to the specialized experience listed below under the GS-13 minimum qualifications) at least one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the GS-13 grade level or comparable pay band in the Federal service that equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the position to be filled. Such qualifying specialized experience must include:
Designing and developing strategies to employ and integrate technical innovation competencies across a large organization and large number employees; establishing suitable innovation metrics for evaluating Innovators Network Portfolio programmatic and technical accomplishments as well as innovation project specific metrics; training, developing, leading, managing, and mentoring teams of employees on innovation theory and practice; extensive experience evaluating, forecasting, and managing budgetary and resource requirements; experience successfully navigating the Federal Acquisitions processes; experience developing and deploying a human resources strategy to support the Innovators Network growth and scale across timeline milestones; leading, designing, and managing programs aimed at training, fostering, and accelerating innovation diffusion across the organization; driving, coordinating, and managing decisional meetings; expert written and oral communication skills; proven history working with senior executive leadership.
You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
1. Technical Expertise
2. Critical Thinking
3. Subject Matter Expertise
5. Project Management
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit OPM's web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review on OPM's web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/standards/indexes/alph-ndx.asp
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
There is no educational substitution at this grade level.
Physical Requirements: This position is sedentary.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online on-boarding process.
Q - Nonsensitive
This position is assigned to the VA Center for Innovation and works closely with Central Office leadership, the VA Center for Innovation team, regional, and local level leadership and staff. The goal of this position is to direct, manage, and scale the VA Innovators Network program. Incumbent will work with executives and national level leadership to lead and sustain the VA Innovators Network Program. Will also advise and manage regional and local level VA Innovators Network efforts and personnel. The incumbent will resource and plan the development of innovation-related competencies for VA employees, facilitate innovation development and implementation pathways for VA Innovators Network employees to include grant programs, and guide the diffusion of innovations across sites. The incumbent will manage the VA Innovators Network support team, including the VA Innovators Network Program Lead, VA Innovators Network Support, lead, and VA Innovators Network administrative staff.
Major duties include but not limited too:
- Supervise the VA Lead Health Specialist (Operations) and the Lead Health Specialists (Innovators Network Program Lead), and Health System Specialists.
- Manage and direct the full range of VA Network program operations, management strategies, innovation program training, budget and procurement acquisition process improvements, and evaluation of proposals, selection of awardees, and approval of awards to the selectee for the VA Network Program.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of the VA Innovation Network management program delivery nationally developing highly technical reports, spreadsheets, project management reports, etc., which effectively and efficiently provide information, track goals, and monitor the implementation of the programs, budget and acquisition, contracting, and training programs and/or projects as appropriate.
- Develop and implement VA Innovation Network Division's program strategies, activities, and programs that are designed to increase and enhance mission effectiveness and project execution within the Department of Veteran Affairs.
- Provide technical and administrative supervision to lead a nationwide Innovation Network through subordinate supervisors.
- Serve as a first line supervisor and Supervisory Health System Specialist (Network Program), and serve as a strategic planner and advisor to senior management in the area of designing VA Innovation Network strategies, programs, policies and systems that capture, manage, and analyze VA Innovation Network Program.
Work schedule: Full-Time
Compressed/Flexible Schedule: May be offered
Telework: May be available after 6 months
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description Title/PD#: Health System Specialist/ PD#82250
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required