Government Information Specialist
This position is part of the Organization of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Joint Chiefs of Staff. The incumbent will serve as a Government Information Specialist located in the Joint Staff Secretariat, Information Management Division, Declassification Branch (DB). The DB is responsible for administering declassification review processes.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
You may qualify at the GS-13, if you fulfill the following qualifications:
A. One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service:
- Accurately identify U.S. strategic nuclear and conventional war planning information, nuclear weapons design technology and the military utilization of nuclear weapons, conventional weapon systems, detainee affairs, and special operations classified information to insure no inadvertent public release of information.
- Conduct declassification review successfully at National Archives and Records Administration, develop and implement effective organizational policy guidance in accordance with Information Security Oversight Office guidance.
- Protect classified information that is under appeal with Interagency Security Classification Appeals Panel for release and to acquire insight/understanding of best practices from other federal agencies provided through the periodic recommendations offered by the Public Interest Declassification Board.
Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level.
Work Schedule: Fulltime
Tour of Duty: Flexible
Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Exempt
Financial Disclosure: Not Required
Telework Eligibility: This position is telework eligible (ad-hoc/rare)
Selective Service Requirement: Please visit http://www.sss.gov for more information.
For more information, please visit General Application Information and Definitions.
Status candidates must meet time-in-grade requirements (52 weeks at the next lower grade level).
All applicants must meet qualifications and eligibility criteria by the closing date of the announcement.
As a Government Information Specialist at the GS-0306-13 some of your typical work assignments may include:
- Conducts comprehensive reviews of records requested under the six types of declassification processes conducted by the DB.
- Reviews require detailed/focused attention to the content of the records with the ability to consistently apply current exemption guidance to specific information requiring continued protection from public disclosure.
- Process and handle each declassification action in adherence to the processing parameters specified in: Guidelines under 5 USC 552 FOIA, Executive Order 13526 National Security Information include, Executive Order 13526, DoD Manual 5230.30-M DoD Mandatory Declassification Review Program, and DoD Directive.
- Develops applicable administrative documents for each declassification action as requested by external agencies or required in accordance with JS/DB established procedures and policies.
- Uses judgment and discretion in determining the intent, and in interpreting and revising policy and regulatory guidance for use by other FOIA/PA specialists in subordinate commands.