This position is responsible for receiving and dispatching emergency and non-emergency calls for service. Under general supervision, the incumbent provides prompt and accurate dispatching of police units; receives and disseminates emergency and non-emergency calls for service from citizens on the telephone; and enters and maintains records in the computer system. The incumbent must have knowledge of radio codes and policy terminology, dispatching procedures, and skills in the operation of telecommunications equipment in emergency and non-emergency situation.
- Answers emergency and non-emergency calls from the public; determines the nature of the call; determines action required to handle call appropriately
- Dispatches the appropriate equipment and personnel to the scene
- Maintains awareness of officers location in order to dispatch calls appropriately, efficiently, and provide for officer safety
- Enters and maintains records into computer system
- Monitors equipment for functional performance
- Checks for warrants on suspects, runaways, and stolen vehicles utilizing the computer systems
- Serves as receptionist and assists callers with non-emergency situations, such as giving office hours and directions to various agencies
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education or,
- Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain Maryland Criminal Justice Dashboard/NCIC certification.
***PLEASE NOTE: ONLY OFFICIAL APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED. PLEASE APPLY AT FOLLOWING LINK: https://career4.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=3461&company=takomagov&username=