Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
The Center of Military History's mission is to accurately collect, preserve, interpret and express the Army's history and material culture in order to educate and professionally develop our Army, the military profession and the Nation more broadly. The incumbent of this position works under the general supervision of the Artifact Accountability Officer.
This position is Term, and the original appointment is not to exceed 30 September 2019. This position may be extended, up to a total of 6 years. This position may be converted to permanent without further competition.
This position is in Career Program 61.
Who May Apply:
- U.S. Citizens
- 25% or Greater
- 25% business travel required
In order to qualify, you must meet the specialized experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience.
Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-09 in federal service, which prepared you to do the work of this position.
Specialized experience is defined as:
1) Utilizing a historical property accountability system in order to catalog property and artifacts; 2) Performing museum registration and cataloging of artifacts or historical property; and 3) Communicating orally and in writing with the public in order to respond to inquiries.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
· Museum Administrative Documentation
· Museum Registration and Cataloging Policies and Procedures
· Historical Research
· Written Communication
**Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone-no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- More than one position may be filled from this announcement.
The incumbent of this position will:
- Serve as the Center of Military History museum liaison with the Army Museum System field museums and museum activities.
- Prepare all administrative museum documentation necessary for accessioning artifacts and art into the U.S. Army Historical Collection.
- Maintain responsibility for de-accession documentation for artifacts and art.
- Register and catalog objects into the Army Historical Collection Accountability System (AHCAS).
- Perform research to ensure the artifact or art is properly identified and catalogued.