Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position: Arlington National Cemetery is located in Arlington, VA. Since May of 1864, Arlington National Cemetery has served as the nation's premier military cemetery and shrine honoring those men and women who served in the Armed Forces.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
- Not Required
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of an Cemetery Caretaker~ without more than normal supervision. - Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
WG-05: Screen Out Element: I have the ability to perform common Cemetery Caretaker tasks including digging, squaring graves and headstone holes with tools such as pneumatic tampers, picks, and shovels; cutting grass with heavy walking-type power mowers; operating hand or gasoline driven pumps to empty water from open graves; setting and aligning headstones. I work under close supervision of a work leader or journey-level employee who observes tasks in progress and upon completion to make sure they are properly performed
WG-06: Screen Out Element: I have the ability to perform common Cemetery Caretaker tasks including manipulating hand and foot controls to stop, start, and maneuver riding mowers and small tractors which tow pre-adjusted grounds maintenance equipment; applying fertilizer, in preparing soil mixtures, and in planting seeds and shrubs; erecting tents and setting up chairs for ceremonial purposes. I work under close supervision of a work leader or journey-level employee who observes tasks in progress and upon completion to make sure they are properly performed.
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision
- Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprinting reading)
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
- Knowledge of Materials
Physical Effort: The work requires frequent walking, standing, pushing of carts, bending and stooping. Frequent arm and leg movements are required when operating a tractor and equipment controls to compensate for terrain features. The incumbent often lifts and handles heavy equipment attachments when connecting them to tractors. The incumbent lifts objects weighing up to 50 pounds while loading and unloading cargo. Heavy physical effort is used by the incumbent in constantly reaching, bending, turning and moving hand, arms, feet and legs to operate heavy duty tampers. Considerable strain can be caused by the constant vibration, jerking and jolting of the tampers in setting headstones and tamping graves.
Working Conditions: Works outside and is occasionally exposed to bad weather condition while loading and unloading vehicles. Due to driving in all types of traffic and weather and is exposed to the possibility of serious accidents. The incumbent is subject to cuts, bruises, and broken bones.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 29 position.
- This position may require scheduled work hours that include evenings, weekends, holidays, and other schedules.
- This is as a Mission Essential (ME) position and is occupied by an agency designated Emergency employee. You will be expected to report to or remain at your worksite during dismissal or closure situations.
- In accordance with Executive Order 12564 for a Drug-Free Federal Workplace, this position requires applicants to pass a drug test prior to employment and be subject to random drug testing for the duration of employment.
- This position is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a pre-placement physical exam.
- Operates dump trucks, stake and platform trucks, pickup trucks, and tractors and tractor attachments to transport work equipment and materials around the cemetery.
- Assists in the loading and unloading of trucks, assuring that it is not overloaded and that the load is properly and safely distributed.
- Prepares grave sites for interment services by placing planks, greens, chairs, tarpaulins, tents, and lowering devices, and removing equipment following the interment services.
- Back fills grave sites using shovel and hand tamper, levels grave sites and replaces floral items on graves, and removes excess soil from graves by loading in truck or trailer.
- Follow Chain of Custody policy for all interments.
- Place grave markers to specified height and alignment in accordance with section layout plan.
- Set up for special ceremonies in such areas as the amphitheater and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.