Adjunct Research Analyst - Joint Advanced Warfighting Division
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) is a federally funded research and development center supporting the Department of Defense and other federal agencies that require rigorous and objective analysis of national security issues.
Challenging career opportunities now exist at IDA in the Joint Advanced Warfighting Division (JAWD) in our Systems and Analyses Center. IDA takes great pride in the high caliber and timeliness of its analyses, which are produced in an atmosphere that encourages independent thinking and objective results. Work at IDA is conducted in a team environment and often involves a multi-disciplinary approach. Researchers work closely with and are in frequent contact with government sponsors.
JAWD seeks candidates for a Research Analyst to support the development and analyses of military capabilities particularly those related to joint operations and command and control, across a wide range of missions and scenarios.
The general responsibilities requires familiarity with:
- Joint concepts, doctrine, and structure;
- Service capabilities, specifically with regard to air power, employed as part of a joint force;
- Innovation and management processes associated with development of capability and force requirements as a part of defense resource and acquisition decision making;
- The assessment of programs or operational concepts, particularly those related to command and control;
- Military concept development, wargaming and experimentation;
- The production of research briefs, papers, studies, or scholarly works.
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- Capacity for independent critical thought and sound judgment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead or contribute effectively to a team approach to complex problem solving.
- Possess an advanced degree.
- Highly qualified candidates will have successfully completed a career of military service within the Department of Defense including:
- Service on a four-star or equivalent Service or Joint staff as an O6;
- Service as a part of a theater commander Air Forces (COMAFFOR) or joint force air component commander (JFACC) staff or equivalent;
- A pattern of DoD assignments involving some or all of these responsibilities:
- Development or assessment of joint or Service operating concepts; experiments; or wargames
- Joint military planning (emphasis on C2 for air, space, and cyber) at the tactical through theater level;
- Use or interpretation of data from models, simulations and similar analytical tools;
- Candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter outlining how their skill set, experiences, and education align with the defined responsibilities.
- Candidates must be prepared to provide a writing sample and identify three references capable of attesting to the candidate’s operational experience and skills in military capability or requirements analyses.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain necessary security clearances.