Discussion Paper Coordinator (#17-142)
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) is seeking a Discussion Paper Coordinator for the Communications and Knowledge Management Division (CKM) to primarily support the editorial and administrative work related to IFPRI’s Discussion Paper series and the CKM division. This position is a one-year, non-exempt, fixed term, renewable appointment based at IFPRI Headquarters in Washington, DC.
Discussion Paper Series Support
The Discussion Paper Coordinator will coordinate the logistics for the review process and the editorial process for IFPRI’s Discussion Paper Series. S/he will liaise with the Discussion Paper Series Editor, authors, editors, and relevant IFPRI staff to help ensure that the annual output (currently about 100 papers) is published in a timely manner and meets series standards.
- Coordinating the publication of all discussion paper submissions
- Serving as liaison for authors, editors, and the series editor
- Reviewing edited discussion papers in order to ensure that editor’s queries and comments have been appropriately addressed
- Formatting discussion papers per discussion papers style or author preference
- Designing and reconfiguring discussion paper tables and figures
- Performing proofreading and minor copyediting for discussion papers as needed
- Compiling related publication lists for discussion papers
- Entering all new discussion paper submissions into Activ.Collab and updating entries, as necessary
- Coding and processing all invoices related to the discussion paper series
- Providing formatting training and assistance with the use of the discussion paper template to staff on an as needed basis
CKM Division Support:
The Discussion Paper Coordinator will also provide administrative and clerical support, including but not limited to division-level activities and information sharing. Responsibilities include
- Responding to copyright requests for IFPRI publications and providing permissions as necessary; maintaining log of all granted requests
- Providing proofreading and copyediting assistance for Institutional flagship reports and other publications, as necessary
- Assisting with policy seminars on an as-needed basis
- Providing backup for discussion paper online invoice submission.
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or humanities plus 2 years of relevant experience
- Strong communication skills in written and spoken English
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Extremely detail oriented and well organized
- Adept in prioritizing tasks and working effectively with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to maintain established deadlines and follow tasks and projects through to completion
- Experience working with academic papers and formatting text embedded with charts and tables.
- Knowledge of publishing styles, particularly Chicago Manual Style
- Familiarity with international development issues, economics, and publishing of technical material
- Proficient proofreading and copyediting skills
- Experience with LaTex