Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located in the Office of Biotechnology Products (OBP). Office of Pharmaceutical Quality (OPQ), Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER). Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Who May Apply: Open to all United States Citizens.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement FDA-CDER-MP-17-1974501KJ under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.
- Occasional Travel
- less than 10%
Applicants must demonstrate that they meet the basic requirement for the desired occupational series AND the specialized experience requirement.
Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Combination of education and experience--courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Degree:microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in physical and mathematical sciences combing course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent.
Combination of education and experience--courses equivalent to a major in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included courses as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Degree:physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics.
Combination of education and experience--course work equivalent to a major as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Chemical Engineer, GS-893:
Degree: leading to a Bachelor's degree in professional engineering from a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum.
Combination of education and experience--college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical science underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering.
In addition, you must demonstrate in your resume one year of qualifying specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal service that includes reviewing scientific data for scientific and/or research projects related to the accuracy, safety, or efficacy of a medical product or scientific system.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. If hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. Pre-employment physical required: No
5. Drug testing required: No
6. License required: No
7. Mobility agreement required:No
8. Immunization required:No
9. Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: moving expenses, recruitment or relocation incentive; student loan repayment, superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.
10. Bargaining Unit Position:No
11. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing of the announcement.
12. Financial disclosure statement required: No
Q - Nonsensitive
- Perform laboratory-based experiments, which include developing and applying new methods and/or modifying existing methods.
- Organize scientific data in a written form suitable for publication in peer-review scientific journals.
- Perform risk assessment as they relate to product safety and effectiveness.
- Review, evaluate and contribute to decisions on the approve ability of regulatory submissions and applications for new drugs.
- Recommend new and improved experimental methods and procedures in order to take advantage of scientific or technological advances.
- Identify and resolve scientific computing and technical problems.