IT SPECIALIST (DATAMGT)
The selectee for this position will serve as an IT Specialist (Data Management) in the Information Technology Department of NAVAL ICE CENTER.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
Individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below:
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attention to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
In order to qualify for this position, your resume must provide sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-11 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Working on a full range of database management concepts, operations, design principles, methodologies, and approaches used in designing, developing, testing, implementing, managing, and maintaining database systems that meet current and future organizational business requirements.
- Analyzing organization's data needs to identify, develop, and implement a database management system to support GIS and Web application.
- Researching methods to improve the functionality of database design related to geographic information systems (GIS) and satellite imagery processing and analysis systems.
- Integrating databases between different software applications related to GIS.
- Operating and developing complex databases related to GIS systems and satellite imagery processing and analysis systems.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/2200/information-technology-it-management-series-2210-alternative-a/
You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
All qualifications requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement and clearly documented in your resume.
The successful selectee will perform the following duties:
- Serves as the command database technical expert for all Geographic Information Systems (GIS) related activities.
- Analyzes, designs, develops, and maintains database structures and database applications to effectively manage organizational data assets and ensures that databases collect, store and process data that supports current and future organizational business needs.
- Evaluates database technological developments as they relate to database management systems, GIS geodatabases, satellite image processing, sea ice analysis, mapping and digital product dissemination.
- Investigates and analyzes application synchronization to resolve specific problems related to database and software applications.
- Develops and implements plans for efficient utilization of physical and software components of the GIS systems and applications.