Staff Fellow (Mathematical Statistician)
THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REPOST OF VACANCY FDA-CVM-17-DE-1983287BY, ALL PREVIOUS APPLICANTS MUST REAPPLY FOR CONSIDERATION.
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Office of Foods and Veterinary Service Medicine (OFVM) Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM), Office of New Animal Drug Evaluation (ONADE), Division of Scientific Support (DSS), is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Mathematical Statistician at the 12 or 13 level. DSS provides expertise, leadership and coordination to all CVM offices regarding biostatistics, pharmacology and environmental safety evaluations for reviews and research. Through our independent and collaborative reviews and evaluations, we support the Center's scientific and regulatory goals to approve safe and effective animal drugs.
The official duty station for this position is in Rockville, Maryland. As part of a Government-wide initiative to increase the efficiencies in the use of Federal real estate by creating new alternative office solutions. The Office of New Animal Dug Evaluation (ONADE) operates in a hoteling work environment. Hoteling is an arrangement where employees reserve non-dedicated, non-permanent workspace at the duty station on an as needed basis and as required (when in person attendance is deemed important and regardless of need, no less than 2 days per pay period). ONADE provides the basic technology needed to effectively work in the Rockville office and in a teleworking location (e.g. laptop, monitors, webcam). Hoteling, along with a strong electronic communication and workflow tools, affords employees in ONADE the flexibility to balance work/life demands while contributing to our high performing organization.
This position will be filled through FDA's Staff Fellowship Program. The appointment is for two years with opportunities for renewals.
Who May Apply: Open to all United States Citizens and Non Citizens.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.
This is an Excepted Service position under Title 42. Applications will be accepted from all groups of qualified persons, including non-citizens. No previous Federal experience is required. This appointment does not confer any entitlement to conversion to a position in the competitive service and no entitlement to Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB) appeal rights.
- Not Required
Basic Qualification Requirements:
Possess a degree that included 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics, of which at least 12 semester hours were in mathematics and 6 semester hours were in statistics.
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position:
GS-12: In addition to the basic qualification requirements, you must possess one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 in the Federal service which includes performing statistical analysis on biological or biomedical research problems, conducting reviews, evaluating statistical methods, procedures, and concepts involved with biological or biomedical applications and advising or commenting on the adequacy of statistical research plans, protocols, methodologies, data analyses and interpretation of results.
GS-13: In addition to the basic qualification requirements, you must possess one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 in the Federal service which includes performing statistical analysis on biological or biomedical research problems, conducting reviews, evaluating statistical methods, procedures, and concepts involved with biological or biomedical applications and advising on the adequacy of statistical research plans, protocols, methodologies, data analyses and interpretation of results.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
Conditions of Employment:
- Security and Background Requirements: Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. If hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Pre-employment physical required: No
- Drug testing required: No
- License required: No
- Mobility agreement required: No
- Moving expenses authorized: No
- Immunization required: No
- Relocation Incentive authorized: No
- Recruitment Incentive authorized: No
- Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
- Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
- Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: No
- Financial disclosure statement required: Yes
Please be advised that this position will be subject to FDA's prohibited financial interest regulation and may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. Applicants are advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the hiring official before accepting this position.
The Mathematical Statistician's primary responsibility is to evaluate study protocols and review results from studies investigating the effectiveness and safety of animal therapeutic and production drugs. You will also provide statistical consults for human food safety studies, toxicology studies, post-marketing studies, research projects, and other related work. You will use statistical and mathematical methods to analyze and draw inferences from data submitted by animal drug applicants and to facilitate the Center scientists in study design development, appropriate data analysis, and data interpretation.