Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
The Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for implementing the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. This law gives FDA authority over tobacco products by adding a new chapter to the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. The Tobacco Control Act gives FDA the authority to regulate tobacco products and manufacturers based on the best available science and CTP is responsible for both assessing and fostering that science-base. CTP's actions have significant public health and consumer protection impact, and are among the most important issues faced by the Agency in its long and distinguished history.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Tobacco Products (CTP), Office of Health Communication and Education (OHCE), located in Silver Spring, MD.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement FDA-CTP-17-MP-1982728CH under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Who May Apply: Open to all United States Citizens.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.
- Occasional Travel
- Domestic travel is required approximately 10% of the time.
In order to qualify for Social Scientist, GS-0101-13, you must meet the following:
Possess a degree in behavioral or social science; or related disciplines appropriate to the position. (Please provide transcripts)
Possess a combination of education and experience -- that provided you with the knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field. (Please provide transcripts)
Possess four years of appropriate experience that demonstrates acquired knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field. (This must be demonstrated in your resume).
Have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service, which includes assisting with designing and developing health communication research protocols and conducting scientific surveys, studies or projects that support the development of public health education and marketing initiatives related to tobacco or other FDA regulated products.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security investigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. Pre-employment physical required: No
5. Drug testing required: No
6. License required: No
7. Mobility agreement required: No
8. Moving expenses authorized: No
9. Immunization required: No
10. Relocation Incentive authorized: No
11. Recruitment Incentive authorized: No
12. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
13. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: May be authorized
14. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
15. Financial disclosure statement required: Yes
Please be advised that this position will be subject to FDA's prohibited financial interest regulation and may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. Applicants are advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the hiring official before accepting this position.
16. Superior Qualifications and Special Needs Pay Setting Authority: May Be authorized
Q - Sensitive
- Assist in the design and development of research protocols using behavioral and social science perspectives of public health issues and problems and participates in the conduct of research on issues related to the development of tobacco public health education and marketing initiatives.
- Prepare reports and make presentations on research results to supervisors and peers internally, and professional societies and industry externally.
- Develop and maintain contacts within professional and scientific organizations that are relevant to CTP's program.
- Participate in the development of policy by providing research and current trends in social science.
- Analyze data obtained in studies designed to inform the development of tobacco public health education and marketing initiatives.