Assistant General Counsel for Office of Publications and Databases
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school, and a member in good standing of a state or District of Columbia Bar.
Minimum of 5+ years of legal experience with a focus in licensing, copyright, intellectual property, content acquisition and/or sales distribution focus in book publishing, software development and/ or information services industries, preferably serving the higher education and/or research markets.
Exceptional analytic and critical thinking skills. Strong interpersonal, negotiating and collaborative skills. Strong writing and oral communication skills including explaining legal terms and recommending strategies to non-lawyer executive level stakeholders and to Association Board and Committee members.
- Serves as APA’s lead attorney in assigned areas of legal expertise, primarily supporting the APA Office of Publications and Databases. This includes the ensuring a consistent legal framework for sales and licensing agreements, drafting and review of individual sales and licensing agreements, publishing permission and copyright assignments, content acquisition agreements, and other relevant agreements; protecting APA intellectual property rights from unauthorized use, piracy and security threats, development of legal compliance programs; providing advice to APA staff and governance as required; representing APA in dealing with third parties, representing APA in court proceedings; and, when matters in these areas are assigned to outside counsel, providing direct supervision and management.
- Works closely with the General Counsel and other professionals in the Office of General Counsel (“OGC”), as needed, in other APA legal matters.
- Works with OGC and appropriate APA Divisions, Committees, Directorates and outside professional organizations to develop and implement projects for APA specific to assigned areas of expertise.
- Works with General Counsel or Deputy/Associate General Counsel in the design and implementation of office procedures and methods designed to provide more efficient and effective legal services to APA’s Office of Publications and Databases and other programs. Also works with them in the supervision of other OGC staff and performs that supervision in the absence of the General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel.
- Manages costs within the OGC legal budget which are relevant to the Assistant General Counsel’s area of substantive responsibility. Responsibilities include the design and implementation of cost containment strategies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Relocation assistance will be available.
The American Psychological Association, located at 750 First St NE, Washington D.C., was named a 2014 recipient of the Washington Post Top Workplace. It is metro accessible from the Red Line.
Qualified candidates must apply online through APA’s applicant system[bit.ly] and attach a cover letter and resume specifying your salary requirements. Applications that are submitted without both documents are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed for consideration. Once your application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Please make sure to check your Spam folder if you do not receive an email from us.
The American Psychological Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected categories covered under local law.