Meter Technician II
Under the supervision of the Supervisor, Meter Services, installs, repairs, and maintains 5/8" through 6" water meters and provides assistance for working on larger sized meters.
- Installs, repairs, and maintains 5/8" through 2" water meters and provides assistance for working on larger sized meters.
- Installs 5/8" through 2" outside meters utilizing small hand tools and other equipment.
- Inspects new meter and sub-meter settings to insure they meet Fairfax Water installation standards.
- Inspects outside water services and meter boxes to insure they meet Fairfax Water installation standards.
- Inspects, services, and replaces 5/8" through 2" water meters when a low consumption is noted.
- Installs 5/8" through 2" inside meters, including the wiring and installation of a remote register or touch pad.
- Assists in the repair, replacement, and field testing of larger size inside and outside meters.
- Repairs, cleans, and shop tests 5/8" through 2" meters as required.
- Inspects and makes necessary repairs to hydrant meters returned for the annual inspection program.
- Utilizes SAP, CCS Mobile to maintain records and service orders relating to meter sets, low consumption investigations, and other daily work.
- Gathers GIS/GPS data.
- Assists the Meter Service CSR in answering customer calls and scheduling appointments as needed.
- Maintains Fairfax Water vehicles, equipment, and tools to assure they are in safe working order.
- Cleans the Meter Shop, floor, benches, and equipment as required.
- Prepares old meters to be scrapped.
- Graduation from high school and a minimum of one year related experience in the installation, testing, and repair of meters or, any equivalent combination of education, experience, and knowledge.
- Individuals in this job classification are considered Essential Personnel, and, as such, are required to report to work during emergencies and periods of severe weather.
- Basic computer knowledge and the ability to communicate via email.
- General knowledge of residential and commercial plumbing systems.
- Ability to use hand and small power operated tools and equipment.
- Knowledge of and ability to bench test and make necessary repairs of 5/8" through 2" water meters.
- Ability to read and interpret ADC maps and distribution systems maps.
- Good communication skills and ability to interact courteously with the public and fellow coworkers.
- Ability to maintain accurate and legible records, ability to use a computer for time sheet submittal.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment. This position is also subject to random testing after hire.
- Possession of a valid driver's license and good driving record.
- Ability to respond to emergencies and to work overtime as required.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions (rain, snow, and ice).
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to climb ladders and work in confined spaces (Meter Vaults).
- Ability to overcome physical barriers, (such as climbing through brush).
- Ability to work while consistently bending and kneeling.