Works as part of the food service team in established residential treatment settings located in Fairfax County, Virginia. This position includes menu planning, meal preparation for 60 plus persons, approximately 200 quality meals per day, inventory management, and working directly with residents of various residential treatment programs. Maintains health and safety standards. Prepares well balanced meals responding to the dietary needs of the clients. Position requires Food Manager's Certification within 90 days of employment, physical examination, and the ability to work weekends and holidays. Excellent benefits package.
NOTE: To learn more about careers that make a difference, watch our video "We Are CSB".
- Estimates food consumption, requisitions and/or purchases food accordingly;
- Assists and instructs personnel engaged in preparing and serving meals;
- Maintains a safe and sanitary kitchen environment, ensuring compliance with state, and county health code requirements for food service establishments.
- Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of food for cooking, cleans and peels vegetables, cuts and trims meats, etc.;
- Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of soups, salads, sandwiches, desserts;
- Aware of safety in use of kitchen equipment at all times;
- Prepares dishes, pots and pans for washer and operates same;
- Cleans counter units, working tables, sinks and food equipment;
- Provides maintenance for cleanliness of kitchen and dining area floors; and ensures proper food safety handling of all food;
- Keeps daily records of silverware/before and after meals;
- Keeps daily records of meals served and their content;
- Organizes store and rotates food items and supplies.
- Knowledge of food groupings and nutritional values; Ability to order food with a view toward economy and future needs;
- Ability to keep consumption records and make reports.
- Knowledge of various cleaning tasks performed in a large kitchen operation;
- Knowledge of Health Department and FDA standards;
- Knowledge of operating a commercial dishwasher;
- Knowledge in the operation of other modern kitchen equipment;
- Knowledge of cleaning materials and methods for kitchen use;
- Ability to understand and follow simple oral and written directions;
- Ability to prepare daily reports using simple arithmetic;
- Ability to communicate effectively; ability to work in large kitchen, follow instructions and manage time;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with senior participants and volunteers.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:Valid driver's license. Virginia Food Handler Certification to be obtained within 90 days of appointment..
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background, Child Protective Services Registry, a check of the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), and, a driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer. Annual TB test required.
This position is considered emergency personnel and evening, weekend and/or holiday coverage is required.
Previous experience in large scale and/or institutional kitchens. Knowledge of stock record keeping, maintaining stocks and ordering.
Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs., pushing/pulling weight up 35 lbs. with wheels, twisting/rotating at the waist, continued sanding and walking, frequently reaching at or above the shoulder height, handling full/empty pot and pans, bending at the waist. Annual TB test required. Must be able to transport supplies. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.