The Washington Post is looking to hire Part Time - On Call Utility Workers!
This position entails working in a loud, industrial environment with machinery.
• Keeping pressroom floors and walls free of debris such as paper, ink, and rags;
• Emptying waste carts in Pressroom and Reelroom;
• Cleaning external surfaces, lights, and brackets of printing presses,
• Sweeping and mopping decks of printing presses;
• Mopping floors and operating floor scrubbers;
• Operating mule in order to drain ink sumps;
• Manually scrap and wash dirty ink buckets;
• Handle chemicals in accordance with proper safety procedures;
• Act as back up in assisting with machine operation; including moving rolls of newsprint, prepping newsprint, stacking newspaper bundles, sorting, stripping, bundling and shipping of cores, and operating various types of production machinery in a safe manner;
• Operating the JBT system
• Other duties as assigned.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a safe manner around heavy equipment efficiently and effectively;
• Ability to shift priorities and perform duties based on changing demands of pressroom;
• Communicates effectively with supervisor and co-workers when issues or concerns arise;
• Reliable transportation and the ability to work various shifts;
• Ability to perform physical duties that require bending, climbing ladders, kneeling, lifting, pushing, reaching and walking;
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs;
• Strong attention to detail;
• Work with minimal supervision;
• 1-2 years experience preferred in a fast-paced, deadline-orientated environment.