SENIOR MANAGER, POLICY AND ADVOCACY
The Alliance of Community Health Plans (ACHP) is a leadership organization that brings together innovative community-based, non-profit health plans and provider organizations that are among America’s best at delivering affordable, high-quality coverage and care to their communities. ACHP member organizations provide coverage and care for more than 19 million Americans across 28 states and the District of Columbia. Plans collaborate to identify problems, share information and work toward solutions to health care’s biggest challenges. ACHP’s advocacy focuses on helping member plans succeed in their markets and transform the delivery of care across all lines of business.
The position of Senior Manager for Policy and Advocacy requires an enthusiastic, proactive individual committed to health care issues. Successful candidates will be deeply skilled in issues related to Medicare Advantage, Medicaid managed care and the individual market. Knowledge of drug pricing issues is a plus. The successful candidate will be a collegial member of the advocacy team, supporting ACHP through cogent and concise policy research and analysis, writing, collaboration with multiple stakeholders, relationship-building with member plans, and additional substantive and operational activities.
We are a culture that values strong organizational abilities, polished written and oral communications skills, emotional intelligence and attention to nuance and detail. This is a rich opportunity for rising leaders comfortable juggling multiple priorities and demands in a fast-paced environment.
- In concert with colleagues, develop public policy and advocacy strategy across multiple issues and horizons. Manage and implement activities related to strategy including, but not limited to, drafting regulatory comment letters, organizing issue briefings, developing issue-specific communications for various audiences, participating in workshops and/or panel discussions, and fluently conveying the complexity of ACHP’s policy positions.
- Conduct research and develop data-driven and/or evidence-based policy materials, including original analysis, policy positions, newsletter updates, talking points, fact sheets, presentations, testimony, formal comment letters, issue briefs, and background documents.
- Participate as needed in ACHP lobbying activities, including Hill and administration meetings.
- Assume primary responsibility for assessing proposed regulations and developing formal regulatory responses, working closely with member plans.
- Assume primary responsibility for developing and implementing strategy on a defined set of issues.
- Monitor and summarize legislative and regulatory developments, brief senior staff, and disseminate information and materials to member plans.
- Support the activities of the ACHP Legislative and Policy Committees.
- Develop close relationships with ACHP staff to draw on their expertise for policy work and serve as policy resource for colleagues.
- Build and strengthen relationships with congressional and federal agency staff, member plans and partner organizations.
- Assist member organizations in resolving operational issues in Medicare, Medicaid and other public programs.
- Answer member queries in relevant content areas and facilitate information-sharing among member plans.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of six years of experience with health care issues required
- One or more of the following is required: experience on Capitol Hill or the Executive Branch; experience in a health plan, health care trade association or health care research organization; knowledge of government programs, especially Medicare and/or Medicaid; knowledge of health insurance; knowledge of prescription drug policy.
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills; ability to synthesize and present complex information for various audiences
- Demonstrated professional maturity including the ability to manage priorities and deadlines and successfully navigate internal and external relationships.
- Commitment to working in a team environment with an emphasis on collaboration and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated strong research and analytical capabilities
- Competency in MS Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)