Editorial Assistant - Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
7 days left
- Full Time
The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) is the National Academy of Science's official peer-reviewed journal of original scientific research. Since the journal's establishment in 1914, it publishes cutting-edge research reports, commentaries, reviews, perspectives, colloquium papers, and actions of the Academy. Coverage in PNAS spans the biological, physical, and social sciences.
The Editorial Assistant is responsible for all aspects of peer-review administration using the online tracking system:
1. Secure an editor recommended by the editorial board.
2. Secure reviewers suggested by the editor.
3. Remind tardy editors and reviewers.
4. Collect reviews.
5. Transmit editorial decisions (rejections, invitations to revise, approvals) to the authors.
6. Process revisions and resubmissions and send them to the editor and reviewers as needed.
7. Handle routine phone and email inquiries from authors, editors, and reviewers.
8. Keep the assistant editorial manager informed about problem papers.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Correspond with staff, authors, Academy Members and reviewers.
2. Remind editors and reviewers of deadlines.
3. Collect author revisions.
4. Notify author of manuscript acceptance or rejection.
5. Process editorial changes and resubmissions.
6. Perform a variety of clerical and administrative tasks such as composing correspondence and answering the telephone.
NONESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
• Related duties as required.
• Special projects as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Ability to solve intellectual problems using selection and applications of commonly used rules, procedures, and precedents. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
** Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and internet browsers desired.**
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.