Research Associate (#212919)
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine Inc. (HJF) is seeking a Research Associate for the Cellular Immunology Section at the HIV Research Program (MHRP) located at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) in Silver Spring, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to the MHRP.
The selected candidate will join a dynamic research team that develops research projects focused on analyzing immune responses in peripheral blood, lymphoid tissues and CNS in unique clinical studies conducted by MHRP over the world testing new vaccine or therapeutic interventions. The Cellular Immunology Section at MHRP is mainly interested in understanding the mechanisms for efficient vs. dysfunctional T cell immune responses, dissecting the early immunological events occurring in acute HIV infection, developing new in vitro primary cell models and testing new therapeutic interventions for an HIV cure. Studies incorporate cellular and molecular immunology, multiparametric flow cytometry, primary cell culture, virology, cell biology, single-cell gene expression analysis, and small molecule screening.
- Performs laboratory research experiments to support the research projects including multicolor flow cytometry staining experiments and cellular immunological assays as CFSE proliferation assay, intracellular cytokine staining assay, co-culture experiments
- Assignments require the performance of complex laboratory assays involving multiple procedures and a variety of technical approaches
- Performs long-term culture of primary human T cells and other cell types
- Exercises technical discretion in the execution of experiments
- Makes detailed observations about experiments
- Provides basic data analysis and interpretation
- Maintains compliance with established laboratory SOPs and safety procedures
- Maintains clear and accurate laboratory records and inventories
- Assists in preparing technical reports, summaries, and protocols
- Assist in presenting progress of the research experiments in lab meetings
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Laboratory experience with techniques to analyze in human T cell responses. Solid background in immunology and cell biology principles and procedures. Experience in multicolor flow cytometry is a plus. Candidates with a genuine interest in cellular human immunology with strong basic training and expertise in a different discipline of biology are encouraged to apply. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to perform as a team member.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Ms. in Immunology, Cell Biology or related disciplines.
Minimum Experience: 2 – 4 years’ experience. Relevant experience in cellular immunology techniques desired.
Physical Capabilities: Long periods of standing and sitting; intricate work with hands; carrying of light and moderately heavy laboratory equipment
Work Environment: Laboratory environment; may involve working with bio-hazardous materials; may require working evenings and weekends
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.